Thanks

Windows 7 Professional SP1 License?

Starting this again, my browser crashed on me and lost what was started.

So here goes again, now have a desktop for my system. Dell Optiplex 960 /w Windows 7 Professional SP1 and have been looking over Microsoft's site for info on the EFI system and what can be setup and maybe what cannot be done. What I have found is only for small, medium and large businesses nothing for the private home user that may not or does not need a network type setup. Maybe Wirelessly connect two (2) or three (3) computers together within my own house.

Any directions as to where to go to find what is the regulations for me to follow so I do not have the Microsoft COPS come after me.

Plus cannot update my Profile and signature . .
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What specifically is your question?
    Are you looking for more Windows 7 licenses?
    Do you want to know how to network PCs?
    Why do you need information on EFI?

Joe

Thanks
    "Joe,"
    My question is, "what features are allowed? If any are disallowed, how may I find out what they are referencing?" I have downloaded about five (5) .pdf files that do much explaining but not for my situation. NOT a business nor home office, just a simple user and cannot find what nor why this is done this way. As far as the EFI is concerned, as a home user am my own "Admin" and this is strange compared to the original BIOS which was easy to figure out what to set and how. So far have been doing much guessing and experimenting. Have not crashed my new system yet, just making an attempt at learning the differences.

Do not need to do any networking at this time maybe later on things are running better that can be an educational thing to attack. I do know some of the needs and can transfer some files from one CPU to another. Do not allow one computer to transfer anything from it's self to the other, have it set to give viewing access and then do a copy from the other CPU. That way if a bug gets into one it cannot propagate it's self to any other system on my small network. Am very security aware and have good settings and MalwareBytes Pro on my system along with several other and they all run together with no problem. Have been threatened on other forums that I will be banned if I keep posting such information. YES, I agree that if you are running '32bit' system your computer will hang if you have more than one 'real time monitor' at any time, they should only run one (1). I have Microsoft's firewall on my system and had another one at the same time with no problems, they worked together. It was just a FREE demo for a short time and removed the other firewall when the testing period was over. I am explaining this so you are aware I am not a "Newbie" and have worked with desktops and laptops for approximately 30 years with not any formal training, just the 'school-of-hard-knocks' and have been very successful, if I may say so for me!! My primary training is Journeyman Electronics Technician with over 60 years experience with several other skills included including Annalist.
    TIA, CU L8R,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It can be difficult to answer a specific question much less a nebulous one. Is there something specific you are trying to do that you cannot? Otherwise if you are just experimenting, have at it, see what different settings do but maybe write down all the settings that work now first so you can enter them again if something goes wrong.

To me, computers are for computing, not tinkering, so I haven't thought of a BIOS or EFI for months and only will if I have to!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Features of Windows? AFAIK, if you are running 64-bit Windows all features are available but features depend on which edition is installed. See Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison for more information about features.

Joe

Thanks
    "F.U.N. downtown,"
    Thank you for this information even though have been on the net from before it was created as "www" and have worked in just about all public versions of Windows since about 1984, am still learning from the 'school-of-hard-knocks.' When it comes to the BIOS or EFI this one is a little different than yourself, I jump in and learn what I can about them so when it comes to problems in there my decision is easier to make so there will be little difficulty going on into the future.

Taking notes(?) is a problem as my brain travels too fast for them, by the time I have gotten out paper and pencil what I was wanting to jot down is gone and am into another area with different problems. Depend on my retention and only change one item at a time to test and if it works leave it alone if not change it back to original setting before going on to the next. Only test those that may have a benefit for my situation not just random experimenting.

Again, THANK YOU for this info . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

Thanks
    "Joe,"

Just was looking for someone that may be able to give me some clues as to where to look for more assistance in understanding what they are telling us with those .PDF files. You have given that as that link is not known to me yet, will get there when time permits. All I have ever done is just 'shot-gun-blast' searches and look for something that may send me in the direction I need, that is very time consuming and not very efficient. You have given what was needed and THANK YOU leaves a hollow feeling to me for this assistance but at this time that is all I can come up with as there are more pressing issues ahead that do not concern computers. Have to leave it at this for now, until later , , have a Happy New Year and maybe this year will be improved enough for better living and working for all. I am retired and beyond getting into the way of another, there are not jobs out there for people such as myself . . except to create a job for another and maybe stay out of their way by asking questions that do not have a direct answer. Enough of this rambling, get back to work Your Break-Time is over!! (BAG)

Thank you to all that have posted on my problems . . have a better day . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTLS View Post
    "F.U.N. downtown,"
    Thank you for this information even though have been on the net from before it was created as "www" and have worked in just about all public versions of Windows since about 1984, am still learning from the 'school-of-hard-knocks.' When it comes to the BIOS or EFI this one is a little different than yourself, I jump in and learn what I can about them so when it comes to problems in there my decision is easier to make so there will be little difficulty going on into the future.
    Almost the same time I started! DOS, Fortran, Cobol, Basic...punch cards! Even then though, mainframes, needed to know very little on DOS and even less on any BIOS settings. Switches and jumpers on the mainboard, set'em and forget'em. That's why I asked if the computer is doing what you want it to do or not and what your focus is. That underbelly is not important unless there's a problem. Heck, I just set a personal processing record this week (it's 27 degrees below zero F so what else is there to do!?); over 600 gigabytes of data created/processed; now that's what I'm talking about! Even an OS becomes secondary to that, unless it starts hindering the process for me.
    But that's what makes for good diversity eh? Tell me about a program with a more perfect sharpening algorithm and I'll love ya forever. Tell me about an EFI setting and I'll fall asleep! ...oh, and I'll also love ya if you can tell me how to keep an outside water station from freezing in this weather. It's heated but still, it's just a metal box with thin metal covers and some aged insulation inside. I have a winter coat tied over and around it at the moment but I have to open it up again so the cattle can drink. Interestingly enough, the cattle don't seem to give two hoots about the cold...they're tough!!
    Good luck on YOUR other issues, mine are mostly about how to keep Mother Nature from killing me and the other animals at the moment.