Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin HD.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Twin HD.

Hello.
    I got hold of a second HD that is PATA and as I have extra such connectors, I would like to install it on the machine, next to the original SATA C:\.
    This to do clones without having to do any physical exercise, it would always be present, built-in.
    Now I would like to have it "on demand", ie : is there a way to have it not live, not seen in booting but accessible anyway to do clones ? I got burned by this virus on my friend's machine that also flushed the clone drive as I connected it, KryptoLocker ! I could then format the C:\, get rid of any nuisance and then awaken the twin drive and clone it back.
    Far fetched ? Maybe but positive protection. Any suggestion ? Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The best way to make it "on demand" is to put it in a USB enclosure and only plug it in when you need it.

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could use an SD card with a write protect tab in a USB adapter. These can also be made bootable to allow re-installation.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Best way I think if you have them internal is still physically connect and disconnect the power supply to the IDE drive as needed. Then if you ever REALLY need it, connect it, boot to that disk instead and clone it back to the other one. I do that for systems I don't have control of but still provide a bare minimum recovery option; the recovery may be old but it's infinitely better than nothing; AND in my fantasy, I look like a real magician when I open the case, fiddle a bit with the wires and...tada!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

DrWho (2014-01-12)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Joe. The USB route is what I want to miss. I have so far, been using this route with great success, ie: clones. I might be dreaming but the "on demand" dream might not be obtainable. I will look into my BIOS and see if that PATA can be set to not be recognized on booting or again, recognized when desired. This to alleviate the need to set up the USB process.
    Thanks for your time, again. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, to you too my thanks for your time. I am well versed in using the USB method but I want to get away from it. It has been doing stellar service for me all these years, I am trying to get one up on it. Have a great day. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN, hello. I feel like you too when I open up this tower and intervene in it innards, hey ! I am the master of the machine. In this instance, I might not be. The physical connect and disconnect would involve opening up the guts of my nearly 6 year old Acer. I have upgraded it some, more RAM, a 2nd DVD-RW, a better Vid-card too. The best app is this W-8, runs so good. From one magician to another, have a great day. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    FUN, hello. I feel like you too when I open up this tower and intervene in it innards, hey ! I am the master of the machine. In this instance, I might not be. The physical connect and disconnect would involve opening up the guts of my nearly 6 year old Acer. I have upgraded it some, more RAM, a 2nd DVD-RW, a better Vid-card too. The best app is this W-8, runs so good. From one magician to another, have a great day. Jean.
    Ya it depends on how easy the power plug is to access, for me it's right there under the side cover and even that has easy to use thumb screw or quick slide release/snap in.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quite a few years ago I picked up something called a "mobile rack" at a computer show. It consisted of two parts: Part One installed in the computer and connected to the HD controller and power by ordinary cables. Part Two is where you installed the drive.

To use it you slid part Two into Part One. Supposedly you could do this with the machine powered on but I preferred not to.

The advantage of this approach was you got the speed of a normal HD but could easily remove the drive from the machine and take it off site if you wanted to do so or just leave it in the Part Two enclosure safe from power anomalies or malware.

I don't know if these things are available for SATA drives - mine was for IDE drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Nate.
    Neat idea ! I have one of these, quite old and it is PATA. My problem is that I do not have any free "rack" where I could install such device. I need two DVD-RWs in my machine as I do a lot of copying from medium to medium. I could always remove one and copy to the HD then to a fresh inserted medium but I really do not want to do this.
    A large thankyou for your time. I hope that the new year has started fine for you. Jean.

Thanks
    Just two drives? Heck mate, I have five of them! I only plug in the one that I want to use, at the moment.
    I have a 1TB Samsung drive that I leave disconnected, except when I use it to CLONE my main drive. The other three, each have a different OS on them.

The only 100% SAFE drive is the one that's NOT powered up.

As far as what drive will boot your PC, that is all set up in the BIOS.

If you're afraid to take the side panel off of your PC, you have more problems than just an extra drive.
    I just leave mine off all the time, so I don't wear out those little screws! The innards stay cooler that way too.

Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Doc, good day. I have you beat. I have, at last count, 22 HDs. Dedicated to clones of different putors. I do not refuse to open up the tower, but only if/when necessary. I have tried booting from a clone USB HD but I have an unconfirmed feeling that somehow, the process meets with a redirection along the line and reverts to the C:\, maybe I should disconnect the C:\ and watch if the booting carries on. Are you saying, Doc, that: The other three, each have a different OS on them, and that you boot from USB ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr Who is referring to internal drives in the same system, with the cover left off. If you want to boot and run a system from an external drive Jean, get yourself a eSATA kit (enclosure and back panel adapter (from internal SATA to external eSATA)).
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya it depends on how easy the power plug is to access, for me it's right there under the side cover and even that has easy to use thumb screw or quick slide release/snap in.
    You can make this convenient by snipping the power wire to the PATA drive and wiring in a toggle switch. Then, drill a hole in your case and mount the switch. Toggle the drive on when you need it and off when you don't.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To isolate a hard drive yet any time 'on call', may I suggest un-assign a drive letter to it in
    Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management. (For Windows OSes, obviously.)

When you need to access the hard drive, assign a drive letter to it. Now it is there.
    Without a drive letter, it creates a layer of protection (but not total protection).
    The method still supplies power to the drive. That is, it is spinning.

I still prefer total disconnect for peace of mind (and less wear and tear).
    But the above method may suit your need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast