Lounger
    Thanks

Photoshop Premiere 12: Audio / Music Scores Stuttering

I created my first video using Premiere Elements 12 & was pleased with the results. YAY!!! I deleted all the existing audio and used Audio | Drag & Drop to insert Spin followed by Afternoon Sun. Worked great, saved the file & uploaded to YouTube. I then realized that I wanted to add two additional clips totaling less than 10 seconds. My first mistake was in not saving the file under a new name immediately (DOH!), but I digress. New video clips added to Project Assets panel, inserted into Timeline & trimmed a tad. No problem. I then tried to expand the audio to include the new clips. Realized one couldn't simply make the tune longer to accommodate the additions so I deleted the audio completely & added the audio scores as though starting fresh. The audio / music score skipped every few seconds with no discernible pattern, say, always at the beginning of a new clip or every "X" seconds. I made sure that I had clicked on Timeline |Render Workspace, but that didn't smooth out the silent gaps in the music. Even the preview of the two musical scores stuttered intermittently so I thought the files must have somehow become corrupted.

I saved the file under a new name, exited the program, uninstalled, then reinstalled Premiere from the DVD. After all that, the previews STILL stutter. I've lost an entire afternoon trying to add those two brief clips. I can see the cursor flicker during the preview, but can't figure out how to correct the issue. I have closed down every other program & re-booted and it would seem that my 8GB of RAM should be sufficient plus it worked before, even with Photoshop Elements & Chrome open. Since the audio files are downloaded, I thought a slow download speed might be at fault. I ran a SpeedTest showing my download speed is 12 Mbps. I've had Premiere 10 on my computer for ages & never used it, but upgraded to 12 specifically to have access to royalty-free music & now that feature isn't working. My mp3 files & YouTube videos play fine so this isn't an issue with my speakers. Further, I get the stuttering / gaps in other music scores I've not even downloaded while using the Music Score preview feature.

As a video editing newbie, I'm probably missing something obvious. PLEASE HELP before I resort to violence against my poor computer.

Thanks!
    Victoria

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Victoria.

The first thing I'd suggest is to check for DPC latency problems, even on very powerful rigs, a bug somewhere between the hardware and drivers (usually) can cause problems similar to those you describe.

I'm not an expert in this, it's a pretty technical subject!

I use 2 tools to help detect and analyse/troubleshoot this, DPC Latency Checker and LatencyMon. Study the description/help/howto's for those and run them for a few minutes with no other programs running to get a baseline for your system first. Any major issues flagged up will need investigating.

Can you post the full hardware specifications of your PC, please - Windows version + make/model# or motherboard details, hard drive(s) sizes etc., there could be something 'simpler' going on. Speccy will help with that. What Internet connection type (speed?) do you use?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

vhpublic (2014-01-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you were still using the same project file (renamed or not) you have to try an entirely new project first to see if the current one is corrupted or not. You could even render what you have now and use the video created from that (remove the audio) if it's difficult to recreate from scratch.
    I process a lot of video with many different editors and as a group they are easily the touchiest and most prone to hangs and corruption and processing errors because there are SOOOOOOO many video and audio construct/content variables. That's literally why I have so many editors; what one can handle, the others will puke their guts on, and vice versa. PE is usually pretty good about not crashing or corrupting because it rejects more files up front as incompatible than the rest.

I don't understand exactly when you say the files are downloaded. Surely not as the file is being rendered or previewed? Downloaded ahead of time so they are local to your system is ok.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

vhpublic (2014-01-06)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for the quick responses. The good news is that I re-booted, relaunched the software to create a new project and the audio seems to be functioning normally. The bad news is that opening the original file anew produced the same stuttering on the audio track so I think that video is toast. I think I'll have no choice but to recreate the original video from scratch if I really want to insert new clips. The new project is a brief one while the original contained numerous clips as well as still shots so I'm hoping more complex projects don't prove similarly problematic. I do know that I'll be very cautious about trying to adjust the music scores once added to the Timeline.

F.U.N., Re: downloading files, Version 12 of PE has royalty-free audio tracks / music scores one can add to projects without concerns about services like YouTube objecting due to copyright concerns. When one clicks Audio option on the Tool Bar on the bottom right of the screen, you can "Preview" the audio clips to choose an appropriate "mood." The files apparently reside on-line at Adobe until you choose to add a music score to your Timeline. If I understand the process, only then does the file download to your hard drive. I hope I've not misspoken.

Thanks again for your help, folks!

Victoria