New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Multilevel List Levels in Word

I'd like to use the automatic multilevel list formatting in Word 2010, however, it seems to be limited to a maximum of nine levels. Is this like the "Who could possibly ever need more than 640MB of RAM" situation? I need to create an outline with sixteen levels but do not see a way to modify or define a list style with that many levels.
    Last edited by RebusCom; 2013-12-30 at 12:41.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reference. However, does that mean that the appropriate level codes to simulated a deeper list, e.g., { STYLEREF 9 \S }.{ LISTNUM LegalDefault \L 2 }, must be manually entered for each line that goes beyond level 9? That would not be very practical in a large document such as mine. I need to convert a very long text-only flat list (legal format, already numbered) into a multilevel list. An expandable one would be nice too but I assume that would mean first converting the flat list line by line into corresponding header 1..16 styles.

Thanks
    See this archival thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/yVUIvnd5hV0
    It includes comments and code for using SEQ fields by John McGhie.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can also create an autotext for each number level beyond heading 9. An autotext name like "10heading" will allow you type just the first 4 characters of the name and press Enter to insert a heading 10 paragraph, for example.
    Pam Caswell