New Lounger
    Thanks

How to tie Access to my online shop?

Hello there,

i have a shop website and i know how to use access, i know that if i combine the 2 my working life will be so much easier than it is right now lol. I know i can use a backend database that will run my front end online shop.

i have no idea where to start but everytime i have to add a product to my website and deal with stock availablilty or each time i have to use one of my 4 spreadsheets to collate product/customer/everything else info, i know i am wasting time and really need to bite the bullet and get a data base made to run my shop.

As I mentioned i known how to use Access but have no idea on how to tie them together, can anyone point me in the right direction of what i need to learn to accomplish this please? people keep saying use sql, its easy, but im not a real thicky and ive tried looking up how to sql with access etc on the web and am just getting more confused. Any pointers with this would be great, thank you, Dee.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Windows Secrets forums, Dee. You've described a pretty complex situation that lots of people would like an elegant solution for. You situation sounds very much like a classic "sales management" problem where you need to track customers, products, and orders placed by customers. The sample Northwind database that comes with Microsoft Access is exactly that. However you probably want to integrate it with your online store, and that makes the problem a fair bit more complex. Depending on how your website is hosted, there may or may not be an easy way to do that. Post some of the details about how your website is currently hosted, and we will make some suggestions as to how to proceed.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there Wendell, yes you are right about everything lol. I knew this would be a complex issue which is why i just threw it out there to begin with as I didnt know where to start.

All I know is that my website is hosted with the company called justhost I have since had a conversation with a friend of a friend who creates websites etc and has done online shops. He has told me that as most website hosts use lynux and MS access is a microsoft windows product, it would never work properly, they wouldnt 'talk to eachother' correctly. As for my website, it has been made from scratch using dreamweaver 3 and uses mals cart and paypal for the ordering process. If it helps my website is
    www.rockuware.com Thank you.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Making a system to suit your site may be much more complex and time consuming than you think. There are a number of open source apps that may do almost everything you need and can be made to feed your site.
    OpenERP
    Inventory apps
    Or just search for web based stock managment or POS.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Although many websites in the past have used Access, Access is really not that good to drive a website from, even if there are many hosts that use Windows Server, which means that, theoretically at least, you could use Access with a website. In the early 2000s, that was a common solution, actually, but more recently even Microsoft does not advise it. Since you have very good and free versions of SQL Server, there is really no need to use Access.

So again, theoretically, you could use SQL Server as a backend for your Access front end and drive the website from SQL Server. A custom solution can be rather costly, depending on what you need, so sometimes adapting or using an available solution is a way to go, as Paul suggested. Other times, there are specific needs that may justify a custom solution. Just a few days ago I finished a simple custom shopping cart for someone with specific needs - it was a version 2.0, the previous version was even more specific, since it had to interface with a specific web api.

On the list of easy to use, free options (or almost free), Wordpress based solutions can be interesting. There are a free (or low cost) e-commerce solutions for Wordpress, which make them very enticing, since in many cases it is just a matter of configuring the add-ons to suit your needs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4