4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There must be an easy way to move photos from DVD to Win8

On my XP computer photos were stored in My Photos – obviously – and backed up on DVD as a precaution against mishap. They were also easy to move around if need be, so why is it so difficult with Windows 8?

As it became obvious that the old PC was nearing the end of its life all my photos were copied from the DVDs to the laptop running Win8, without too much hassle, except that a few dozen were left orphaned or in the wrong folders.

Yesterday I started on the task of sorting it out, by copying the photos from DVD to the new PC, folder by folder, and comparing the result before and after transfer. But it’s ridiculous: every time I click on a photo without remembering to select open with Irfanview – which is most of the time - a pop up asks me to accept or decline a service agreement for Windows Essentials, then another popup asks me to confirm my decision.

That is annoying enough, but there seems to be no easy way to transfer from DVD to Pictures. The best I’ve been able to find is to send the folders to Documents, then cut and paste from there to Pictures.

With both these obstacles to slow the process down, it will take forever. Hopefully somebody can suggest a way to speed this up.

George.

Thanks
    George,

As to the 1st problem you need to go into file associations and associate .jpg, .gif, etc. with IrFanView and you won't have that problem any more.

As to the 2nd problem add the Move To / Copy To items to your right-click menu and you can move directly from the DVD to the Pictures or anywhere you wish with a couple of clicks. HTH

BTW: If you are not comfortable in RegEdit you can you can download the file in the link at the top of the article and then just double click to merge into the registry.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-01-06 at 16:23.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG. Both work a treat, this will save a great deal of time and frustration. You're a real pal.
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The move to and copy to folder should be context menu items in Irfanview. Has Irfanview thumbnail view ever been integrated with the main program? If not, should still work the same, open a picture in Irfanview thumbnail, let it build the thumbnails, select as many as you want to move or copy and do so. I do that with either Faststone or XnView myself. I just checked my old version of Irfanview and move and copy are there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N,
    Thanks, that's worth knowing, but I was moving entire folders, some with 80+ photos, rather than individual pictures, so Irfanview was not involved.

With XP, I believe that Explorer was used most, if not all, of the time.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I don't remember if there's a folder tree view along the side option for Irfanview, that's why I use one of the better integrated other ones mentioned because I can see all the photos at once and move entire folders, just like I was using explorer, except it's way faster to produce the thumbnails in the photo programs than in Windows explorer natively AND they also include all the different photo formats there may be so I see all thumbnails and no generic picture icons where explorer cannot read the filetype as a photo.
    I'm editing/moving a few hundred to a few thousand photos at a time though so I need something that WORKS! Explorer is probably good enough for a few photos and if they are all in a format explorer understands.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I'm editing/moving a few hundred to a few thousand photos at a time though so I need something that WORKS! Explorer is probably good enough for a few photos and if they are all in a format explorer understands.
    Good God!