Thanks

do i need to set jumpers

hi

i have and old advent p4 . there is one ide hd connected to the board and one sata hd [data only]. my question do the jumpers have to be set to anything particular. the pc doesn't always boot

thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably not, if the IDE jumpers were incorrect, it would not boot at all. Since the SATA is not the boot drive, again no on jumper. If it were the boot drive, some very early SATA boards needed the 1.50 gigabits/s limit jumper set for consistent function, but those are rare methinks.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-01-07 at 10:36.

Thanks
    just looked and the jumper on ide drive is correct . still have the problem . are those 2 sata ports only meant for optical drives maybe

thanks

Thanks
    NO! They are for any SATA device!

Some PC makers had a warehouse full of IDE drives so they put them in new PC's till they ran out, even though those new PC's had SATA capability.

I've seen many a new PC, with an IDE drive in it as the boot drive and two or more SATA ports on the Motherboard, just doing nothing. If I had that PC here, I'd clone the IDE (boot) drive to the SATA drive and make it the boot drive.
    The data access and transfer speed between IDE and SATA is at least 100 times greater with SATA.

You would probably have to go into the BIOS and set that SATA drive as the First Boot Drive.

In the SATA realm, the BIOS will boot from the lowest numbered SATA port first, so you'd want to put your SATA boot drive on port 0 (port zero).

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    thanks dr who, thats very helpful. i will do just that and tell u results. any idea why i have the above mentioned problem booting if the sata disc is connected
    Last edited by qaz; 2014-01-11 at 19:02.