Thanks

Uncategorized Emails

How do I set up a rule that takes all mail as it is coming in and, if it has not already been assigned to a category, then puts it in the "Uncategorized" category so that I can then have a view that is just those uncategorized items?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you already have rules which categorize email as you wish? If you do, does each have a stop processing more rules as part of it?

Remember rules are processed in order from the first (top) in your list to the last. You can create a new category. Then, if you answer yes about your rules then by definition a rule executed after the last rule which categorizes your email will be working on email which has no category. You can use a new rule assigning the email to your new category. Move this rule down past the last rule assigning a category. Then create a view filtering by your new category.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, so, if I have a "stop processing" stipulation for all the categories, any that make it past those... So, then I should have any other rules run BEFORE the category rules, shouldn't I?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes others should run before the categorization rules. If those others have "stop" in them the categorization rules will not run. You must be very careful about what you do with rules. You have to ensure that all the rules you want to run on each and every email are first and do not have a "stop" in them. Rules management and results can get very confusing.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe;

I "turned off" all the rules but the categorization rules. Now how do I set up that last rule so that it runs on any e-mail that is still available after the other categorization rules are run?

Thjere doesn't seem to be a "Now run on everything that is left" rule.

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just by its presence it will run if the other categorization rules fail. It is just another rule in line.

The other categorization rules should each have a "Stop" in them.

Joe

Thanks
    But it has to have some condition, doesn't it? Sort of like "if it didn't belong to any of the others then..."? Without any condition the rule won't create will it?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Pick some condition that will be found to be true for all the remaining emails such as "sent to you" or "on this computer". Anything that will be true for all is fine.

Joe