New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving gmail messages to local pst files.

I'm using Outlook 2010 as an IMAP client for a gmail account.

I get alot of email that once I deal with I don't need on the google server anymore. Until recently I would drag an email from the [Gmail]All Mail folder to a local .pst file and the message would show with an overstrike in the listing until I selected it and deleted it. The emails would be in the local pst file and gone from the server. (In a related this is wierd sort of way, I would had to have dragged at least two messages into local files in order to select them, one by itself wouldn't be selectable).

Suddenly I had trouble with Gmail hanging for what seemed like forever and timing out trying to retrieve mail. I read a bunch of post in various places and tried suggestions regarding settings for IMAP both in my Gmail setting and my Outlook settings. I also discovered that I had a 25 gig sized imap pst file. I compacted and ran inbox repair on it, it's still 24 Gig, but it runs quite smoothly. I'm not sure what fixed the hanging issue and I really don't know for sure what settings I had originally anymore.

The problem now is that the drag and drop into local pst files doesn't behave the same way anymore. If I drag as before, the email dissapears immediately from the [Gmail]All Mail view but not from the Inbox view or from the web interface when I check there.

Any suggestions as to what would be the ideal settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Howie

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Follow step by step guide from here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...at-home/34209/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link.
    I've seen that already and it is instructions on how to do the opposite of what I want to do.
    Using Outlook as my mail client I want to drag an email from the IMAPfolder [Gmail]All Mail to a local folder in a local .pst file. Once I've dealt with it I don't need to refer to that particular email(s) from anywhere but the one machine in my office and I will need the .pst file as an archive when this project is done.
    If I delete an email from all mail using Outlook, it's gone. Drag an email to a local folder it reappears in all mail as soon as the server resyncs. If I delete/drag from the gmail inbox, it's the same as gmail archiving (gone from inbox still in all mail).

Howie