New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving gmail messages to local pst files.

I'm using Outlook 2010 as an IMAP client for a gmail account.

I get alot of email that once I deal with I don't need on the google server anymore. Until recently I would drag an email from the [Gmail]All Mail folder to a local .pst file and the message would show with an overstrike in the listing until I selected it and deleted it. The emails would be in the local pst file and gone from the server. (In a related this is wierd sort of way, I would had to have dragged at least two messages into local files in order to select them, one by itself wouldn't be selectable).

Suddenly I had trouble with Gmail hanging for what seemed like forever and timing out trying to retrieve mail. I read a bunch of post in various places and tried suggestions regarding settings for IMAP both in my Gmail setting and my Outlook settings. I also discovered that I had a 25 gig sized imap pst file. I compacted and ran inbox repair on it, it's still 24 Gig, but it runs quite smoothly. I'm not sure what fixed the hanging issue and I really don't know for sure what settings I had originally anymore.

The problem now is that the drag and drop into local pst files doesn't behave the same way anymore. If I drag as before, the email dissapears immediately from the [Gmail]All Mail view but not from the Inbox view or from the web interface when I check there.

Any suggestions as to what would be the ideal settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Howie

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Follow step by step guide from here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...at-home/34209/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link.
    I've seen that already and it is instructions on how to do the opposite of what I want to do.
    Using Outlook as my mail client I want to drag an email from the IMAPfolder [Gmail]All Mail to a local folder in a local .pst file. Once I've dealt with it I don't need to refer to that particular email(s) from anywhere but the one machine in my office and I will need the .pst file as an archive when this project is done.
    If I delete an email from all mail using Outlook, it's gone. Drag an email to a local folder it reappears in all mail as soon as the server resyncs. If I delete/drag from the gmail inbox, it's the same as gmail archiving (gone from inbox still in all mail).

Howie