New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer works but no text printed....

My husband has Windows XP on his MS computer. When trying to print to his Lexmark 2690 printer, everything works fine except there is no text printed. Ink cartridges indicate they are full????

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this a sudden thing, one day it works, the next not? Or was the printer inactive for a long time? How sure are you that the cartridges are full? Just changed or don't remember when? Also was an attempt made to print a couple different documents from a couple different programs to eliminate a single document issue? Print previews all look fine? Correct paper selection made?

Mine was inactive for a long time (6 months) and the print heads dried out and crusted over, took an entire set of cartridges just to clean the heads and get them working again. If it's a sudden thing, that may be a hardware issue. One might try uninstalling the printer, rebooting and installing again but if it continues, seems it must be hardware. Finally if uncertain about the last time the cartridges were changed or how much printing was done, one might have to try a new ink cartridge just to be sure despite the indicator.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    He hasn't printed for quite some time. The cartridge indicators indicate they are full but when I print a test page, although it acts like it's printing, the page is blank. I've also tried printing from other programs with the same results. Looks like I'll have to replace the cartridges and try that. Thanks for your suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My printer print heads were so dried out it took upwards of 10 head cleanings to get'em going again. I was just about to give up and declare it a lost cause when two faint test print lines appeared.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try just giving the cartridges a good shake, which you should do before fitting any new ones.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give them a good shake before buying some expensive new cartridges.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just re-reading my last post and to clarify, you should always give cartridges a good shake before fitting them.

While I don't use my printer as often these days but don't think it has gone as long as 6 months, I've never had any printing problems when I have needed to use it which I put down to shaking the cartridges when renewing.

After the warranty expired on my Epson printer, I started using non branded ones from www.stinkyink.com (if I'm allowed to include the link) which have so far served me well, but some printers may not like the non branded ones so it's always a gamble when first buying them.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-09 at 04:09.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a link to the Lexmark 2690 User Manual - http://www.lexmark.com/US/en/catalog...sp?prodId=4315
    In it you will get suggestions for correcting this problem. You will find them in the 'Maintaining the Printer' section. It may not resolve your problem, but it will put you on the right track. Good Luck

Thanks
    There are two distinct types of Ink Jet Printers. In the first type, like HP, the print heads are actually ON the bottom of the ink cartridge. Change an ink cart and you're also changed your Print Head.
    Sometimes you can take out the ink cart and set the cart in a shallow saucer or bowl of liquid Ammonia and it will soak away the dried ink. That may take a day or so, to get the head working again, if it's going to. If that doesn't work, all you can do is install a new cart.

The second type is EPSON, where the Print Head is very High Tech and is an integral part of the printer. All you change is the tank of ink itself, and never the print head. Those type of printers need to print at least a test sheet every few days to keep the print heads working. They are exceptionally good in a busy office, where they get lots of use.

I have two EPSON printers and they do get lots of use! I use NON-OEM ink, that I get at a great discount from "Inksell(dot)com".

The best printer for 'seldom' use is the Laser Printer, that uses a dry toner.
    I have an old HP Laser-jet Series II printer, and I recently pulled it out of storage after not using it for over a year, and it printed OK, on the very first sheet. For Black&White printing, a Laser Jet printer is the best and cheapest way to go.

Good Luck and Happy 2014!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!