5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean out obsolete, space-consuming update files

LANGALIST PLUS

Clean out obsolete, space-consuming update files

By Fred Langa

All versions of Windows typically retain obsolete Windows Update files that can take up gigabytes of disk space. Here's how to delete them. Plus: Dealing with multiple "unknown folders," assessing an official Microsoft Money replacement, and getting past a weird Error 9c47 problem when installing IE 11.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/clean-out-obsolete-space-consuming-update-files/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I periodically run Disk Cleanup and manually delete older Update files. I got the Win7 update but wasn't aware of the feature.
    Just ran it and it found over 6 and a half GB of old Update files. Service Packs really pack it in. And no guessing. Great tip.

Now I just have to remember the extra step because its a slightly obscure thing to run once in a blue moon...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, this is great! I just regained about 16 GB. Ran it through the first time launching from the start button in Win7, and I got about 8 GB. Then I went back and explored the More Options tab on that box and found "System Restore and Shadow Copies" and got 8 GB more. Of course my system is nice and stable for a couple of years so I only need the latest versions, just in case. I also noticed there's a "Disk Cleanup" button on my C: drive's properties window "General" tab, and when I clicked, it ran the same cleanmgr.exe as before, except I did not have to select C: drive at any time. Bet if I click my Computer icon and right click on my D: drive and select "properties" I could click that button and won't have to select D: either. Thanks for the great tip.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 64-bit and also the Update for x64 System (KB2852386), but when I run Disk Cleanup I do not have the button "Clean up system files" to start the process of removing unneeded update files. How do I get that button to show?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To have Disk Cleanup look for obsolete Windows Updates you need to right click on Disk Cleanup and run it as an administrator and you will see its process of scanning for these files along with its other scans.

It isn't a separate option that pops up because of installing the KB, it enhances Disk Cleanup with this new attribute when run as an administrator.

I normally run it each month after the WUs to see if there are any others that can be removed.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-10 at 06:40.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    To have Disk Cleanup look for obsolete Windows Updates you need to right click on Disk Cleanup and run it as an administrator and you will see its process of scanning for these files along with its other scans.

It isn't a separate option that pops up because of installing the KB, it enhances Disk Cleanup with this new attribute when run as an administrator.

I normally run it each month after the WUs to see if there are any others that can be removed.
    I ran it as an administrator, and I still did not get "Clean up system files"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkitc View Post
    This article may help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386 which includes a link if you want to re-download the KB.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15,
    What is odd is I can run sageset from the commandline and it will be listed there as one of the cleaning options.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have an explanation as to why it doesn't include the Windows Update Cleanup scan when running Disk Cleanup as an admin, but it would seem that MS are aware that it may not always be included.

Pity MS don't explain the discrepancy as to why it is included for some but not others.

So did you manually run it via cleanmgr /sageset and how much did it find ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I ran it last month just before update Tuesday. It cleanup around 5 GB's, I don't remember exactly 'cause I didn't write it down.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkitc View Post
    I don't have an explanation as to why it doesn't include the Windows Update Cleanup scan when running Disk Cleanup as an admin, but it would seem that MS are aware that it may not always be included.

Pity MS don't explain the discrepancy as to why it is included for some but not others.
    If you run Disk Cleanup as administrator, the "Clean up system files" button will not be present but Windows Update Cleanup is already in the list of options for files to delete.

If you run Disk Cleanup as another user, the "Clean up system files" button is present and can be used to add Windows Update Cleanup to the list of options for files to delete.

(In either case, Windows Update Cleanup won't get added to the list of options if such files have already been deleted.)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-01-11 at 17:01. Reason: (added caveat)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-01-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The MS article is misleading on this as the user would already be running Disk Cleanup as an admin in which case the Clean up system file button would not be present which it instructs to click on.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The MS article is misleading on this as the user would already be running Disk Cleanup as an admin in which case the Clean up system file button would not be present which it instructs to click on.
    It doesn't say you have to start the process as administrator, and it only says click "Clean up system files" if the Windows Update Cleanup option is not displayed.

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It doesn't say you have to start the process as administrator, and it only says click "Clean up system files" if the Windows Update Cleanup option is not displayed.

Bruce
    Under More Info/Note it says that you must have administrator permissions to do this, so for me the user would be running Disk Cleanup as an admin and therefore the Clean up system files button wouldn't be present.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a good read on this subject: http://goo.gl/35Pk4L