2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

right click in left panel crashes windows explorer

Hi All
    In a previous installation of Windows 7 (Home Premium 64 bit) the system suddenly developed a problem whereby right-clicking a drive or a folder in the left-hand panel of Windows explorer crashed Windows Explorer instead of providing a context menu. (So I needed to go to "my computer" in the left panel and use right-click drives in the right hand panel, which still worked OK).
    When I reinstalled Windows 7 recently (for other reasons) the above problem no longer existed (ie right clicking in the left panel provided the context menu and worked OK). However, after several Windows Updates the problem recurred and I'm back to having to remember not to right click in the left hand panel.

It occurs to me that the error might be due to a specific Windows update (KB??????).
    Does anyone know which update it might be that caused this? I tried to identify it on the basis of the date when the problem recurred, but it was not evident.

If it's not due to a Windows update, any other ideas as to the cause (or how to identify the cause)?
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Usually this sort of problem is caused by a third party program adding something to the context menu and it is misbehaving. Have you installed any other software recently which would add context menu entries?

See ShellMenuView v1.20 - Disable/enable context menu items of Explorer and ShellExView v1.86 - Shell Extensions Manager for two free tools to help manage these types of addins.

Note: pay attention to the download links as there are separate 64-bit versions for each.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link Joe. Interesting piece of software. Not yet managed to find the culprit but I've been disabling and re-enabling various context menu items. Hope to find it eventually.
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo