Thanks

Microsoft Money Plus Sunset

In today's Windows Secrets Fred Langa column, Fred says he can't recommend Microsoft Money Plus Sunset because of its age and limitations. But he also makes a statement about it that just isn't true. "It might work fine for some users, but it’s still obsolete, unsupported software. It also lacks some functions included in the original. For example, the Sunset edition offers thin help information, limited import/export abilities, and no online services." (emphasis mine)

I use Money on an almost daily basis to update my checkbook by connecting online to my financial institution and downloading my latest account information directly into Money. The connection is secure (https) and links up through IE 11. Money does everything I want it to do, and does it securely through MS's latest browser. For me, there's no need to look any further. YMMV.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    @bbearren: I also still use Money (since 1994!!), but accept that it is unsupported. I still download data from my bank securely, etc. In fact, here in South Africa, we have no choice but to use Money, because the latest versions of Quicken cannot connect to our banking system.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Guys, Microsoft Money Sunset Plus is alive and well even though its not supported.

There has been some serious work done by an ex Microsoft employee (the guy who wrote the Portfolio Manager) that allows the stock prices to be updated. I can vouch for it working here in Australia. You can download it for free (60 runs) from 'gaiersoftware.com'. He is thinking of asking $10 US to cover his time.

Here is a link to the latest post. Its well worth a look.

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre.../#comment-4719

Cheers

Chris

Thanks
    Chaps,

I don't know if you have this issue with Money, but I've found that some of my banks provide their downloaded QIF files in slightly different format.

If you edit the downloaded file and the comment line is prefixed with a 'P' rather than a 'M' then Money bombs out when you try to import it.

As I say, some banks are okay, but some are not and I'm not sure why. There must have been a version change in Quicken at some stage but I don't really know.

I'm in the habit now of opening up every downloaded QIF file with Notepad++ and running a macro to change the 'P' to a 'M' before I import them. My macro changes every 'P' so some of my comments read a bit strange but as I set Money to ignore them it doesn't really matter. Its the amount and dates that are important for me to reconcile and not having Money bomb out is vital.

Let me know if there is a better way of handling these downloaded statements. My method is a bit clunky, but works.

Here is what I mean.....

This wont work

!Type:Bank
    D16/04/2014
    T3.68
    PDirect Credit M2 DIVIDEND
    ^
    D11/04/2014
    T-153.53
    PInternet BPay to ORIGIN ENERGY - Biller Code
    ^
    D10/04/2014
    T94.70
    PDirect Credit AMP LIMITED
    ^

After I have run my macro to change all 'P's to 'M's

!Type:Bank
    D16/04/2014
    T3.68
    MDirect Credit M2 DIVIDEND
    ^
    D11/04/2014
    T-153.53
    MInternet BMay to ORIGIN ENERGY - Biller Code
    ^
    D10/04/2014
    T94.70
    MDirect Credit AMM LIMITED
    ^

Cheers

Chrisso
    Last edited by Chrisso; 2014-04-30 at 23:09. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    My bank offers downloads as CSV (comma separated values) or OFX (open financial exchange), and Money Plus Sunset accepts OFX without any difficulty. Since I only use it for reconciling my checkbook and savings account, it does everything I need.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks for the response bbearren,

Yeah my bank(s) offer those file formats too as well as QIF files.

I prefer to use QIF files to reconcile all my accounts so it was a bit unnerving when I struck problems (and its only with some banks too). I just thought that I would share my experiences and hope it may help someone else.

Money is great but I know the tide is receding on it, so its up to us poor users to keep the faith for as long as we can.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Chrisso

Thanks
    Chaps,

Just to let you know that Gaier Software have now released their first version of their MS Money stock pricing program.

Is available for download (30 free runs) or purchase $9.99 US

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

I can vouch that it works and is safe to download.

Cheers

Thanks
    Chaps,

Dan (from Gaier Software) is looking at amending his program to include a CVS file upload so that UK pricing can be included.

I think he is looking for some people to help him with his testing if you are interested in supporting him.

Here is the link......

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpre...-money-quotes/

Cheers