2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's the easiest safe way to use an old PC? Ubuntu?

What's the easiest safe way to use an old PC?

I have an old PC that has XP Pro, but MS support is about to end along with MSE (security) updates. I'm not interested in spending a lot of time making backups, updating anti-virus programs, etc. I just want to be able to use my old PC for simple stuff, including accessing the internet but NOT including email. So should I abandon XP and install Ubuntu, for example? Would that be an improvement, or does Ubuntu have enough of its own problems that it wouldn't be worth the effort? Or is there some other way to safely use my old PC without a lot of effort or hassle? THanks for any suggestions.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends on your history with XP to date. If you haven't had problems up until now, I might buy a copy of MalwareBytes Pro and install that in place of MSE, use the latest Chrome or Firefox browser (no I.E.), onward and upward.

Ubuntu might satisfy all your needs, certainly for browsing the Internet, but there may or may not be peripheral incompatibilities and it takes time and effort to find Windows compatible program substitutes (or try to run them in WINE) and get them working to your satisfaction. IF you have the time, it's free!

Thanks
    Windows XP should be just fine, especially if Linux is more unfamiliar.
    And yes, you do need to spend time making backups and updating your antivirus software, this goes for any OS.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.