Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor and sleep mode problem.

New Dell inspriorn 660 Desktop.

Will not wake from sleep mode. 75% of the time it works fine. Other times it will not wake and send a signal to the monitor unless I do a complete reset power off and restart.
    The light around the reset button changes from a white color to a sort of orange when it goes in sleep mode. Then I press any key or mouse it changes back to white and the monitor comes on.
    When the problem happens I press a key and the light changes from orange to white like its suppose to. But the monitor does not get a signal.
    Tried a different monitor. And I use HDMI connection but tried VGA and the same problem.

Tried updates Dell and Microsoft

Tried keyboard and mouse in 2.0 and then 3.0 usb ports.

Tried just pressing reset button once on the tower.

Have to press and hold to get tower to turn off then restart PC for it to work.

Monitor is a Dell 24008wfp. Using HDMI connection. Monitor said no signal from PC.

This was a scratch and dent model from dell. Could that have been the problem why it was returned.

Do I need to return or is there and easy fix

Windows 8 Intel I5 with integrated graphics.
    Hate to mess with Dell tech support unless I have to.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Rayh78; 2014-01-09 at 16:42.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update.
    Did call dell tech support. They did download new drivers to the PC. But I had already done that. They will call back in 4 days to see if I still have a problem. And that is still within my time frame that I am allowed to return the PC.
    Tech support did say that the majority of customers will just change the settings to have the PC to never turn off. Would you consider this as a option?
    I have had different PC's over the past 15 years and never had to do that. Turn mine on each day and maybe use it for about 30 minutes at a time. 3 times a day.
    In the next 6 months I may add a SSD if that may make a difference.

What would you do?

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rayh,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have had that problem for over two years. I have seen several forums with lots of other people having the same problem and no one can solve it at this time. I have had the problem through Win7, 8 and 8.1. I have had two different graphics cards, two different motherboards and a dozen driver updates without any improvement. It seems the best guess is that Microsoft had not really perfected their "Sleep Mode" for all of our various setups. If you find a solution, PLEASE post it!!! I don't let my computer sleep and turn the monitor off when not using it.

Bill

Thanks
    How to See Available Sleep States on Your Windows 8 PC

powercfg -ENERGY
    (Evaluation of energy efficiency and errors)

The above should be looked into in an attempt to determine the problem.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billrice View Post
    Hi Rayh,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have had that problem for over two years. I have seen several forums with lots of other people having the same problem and no one can solve it at this time. I have had the problem through Win7, 8 and 8.1. I have had two different graphics cards, two different motherboards and a dozen driver updates without any improvement. It seems the best guess is that Microsoft had not really perfected their "Sleep Mode" for all of our various setups. If you find a solution, PLEASE post it!!! I don't let my computer sleep and turn the monitor off when not using it.

Bill

Thanks for the info.
    I am just going from Win XP to Win 8. I would not like to return this and get a new one. Spend a day or two setting it up and have the same problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

Been around the block many times on this problem. If it were an energy state problem it would either work or not work depending on the availability of the state, no?
    I have all power saving settings off in the BIOS, I have hibernation off in the OS. I can still have the computer go to sleep via power settings in the OS at some level, but the failure of the graphic card to wake up still happens, as Rayh states, maybe twenty percent of the time. On prior MBs I made no adjustments at BIOS level to sleep modes, still had same problem. Same problem, three motherboards, two different graphics adapters, makes no sense to me.
    Any further thoughts? (Nice referral though, I will be bookmarking it. Thanks)

Thanks
    Personally, I always disable sleep mode and hibernation mode on my computer. I set it so I have to manually choose to sleep or hibernate. I prefer that when I shut things down, it completely shuts down, so that (1) Windows starts clean the next time, and (2) nothing is left "hanging" from the previous Windows session.

Some things (e.g. connection to certain network resources) can develop issues when you hibernate for a while, because after a certain amount of time of inactivity, they become disconnected. To make sure that none of that happens, I prefer to either stay in Windows, or do a clean shutdown and restart.

Also, I set my monitor to go off after x minutes of inactivity.

That's just my preference. I'm sure that everyone here has their own opinion about these things.