2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying Firefox Problem

I cannot remember exactly when this started but it has persisted through several FF versions.

Periodically, I find extra FF windows containing advertisements have been loaded on my system. All of them are smaller than my mai8n FF windows (I run it maximized). I can tell they are there by looking at the FF icon in the task bar. While I was composing this message, one of them showed up.

Every once in a while one of these windows will fail to load properly and FF hangs up as well as anything in the main window. Example: If I am watching a Netflix video it locks up.

Sometimes. the only way I can fix this is to run Task Manager and end the FF process.

BTW I also do not allow Flash to run unless I actually need it. This has an added benefit of not allowing many ads to display. Not sure if this is part of the above problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    BTW I also do not allow Flash to run unless I actually need it. This has an added benefit of not allowing many ads to display. Not sure if this is part of the above problem.
    I think it is possible this is part of the problem. Maybe try allowing Flash and see if the issue goes away?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try installing the Adblock plus extension to Firefox this should block most ads and allow you to manually block those that get through.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Adblock Plus but I still get the extra windows - in fact there were 4 of them which I cleared just before typing this post.

If that is a way of using advertising to support FF it doesn't make much sense to me.

I blocked Flash because it was interfering with normal use of the system.

Thanks
    Try running Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) and adwcleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/).

Jerry