Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Help me design my new computer

I am currently using a very old Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop System with Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (all up to date).

Because of the age of the system & the coming end of support for XP, I have decided that the time to do something is now.

I have an iPhone 4S & I also sometimes use my wife's iPad 3 and am comfortable using those.
    But I feel that since I use the Desktop for business, I need to get another Desktop and not a laptop, tablet, etc.

I am however starting to retire a little at a time (self-employed) & may not be in business for more than a couple or 3 years more (or even less than that).

My profession has a large group contract with Dell, so I also see no reason not to stick with Dell.

I am also thinking that my current 21" Monitor could be used on a new system so I could have dual monitors.

It also seems that a lot of the new Desktop Systems still come with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.
    I did NOT get a new system at the end of 2012 because of Windows 8 having just come out - but I would have thought that by now, every new system would come with only Windows 8.

I do NOT plan on using the touch screen capabilities for my Desktop, but still think I should get Windows 8 for no reason other than not having to upgrade later.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Formulate a budget and give us an idea what your computing requirements are.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Depending on the connector used you may not want to count on being able to user your current monitor.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Formulate a budget and give us an idea what your computing requirements are.
    Budget is about $3 - $4,000

I am away from my office at the present. When I return, I will post the System Requirements of 1 specific Software I use which will be the most stringent System Requirements I would need.

My 1st decision however is whether or not I want to buy another Desktop at all.
    My concern is that a Desktop may soon be something you can only see in a Museum.
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2014-01-10 at 13:05.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Depending on the connector used you may not want to count on being able to user your current monitor.

Joe
    Could I not overcome that by adding a card to the new Desktop to fit that connector?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are the System Requirements I need to meet.
    I would like to also be above those Minimum Requirements because I plan on using that Desktop for several years and the System Requirements of 1 specific Software I use keep going up.

Processor:
    2.4 GHz dual core processor

Memory (RAM):
    Varies by operating system
    3 GB RAM for 32-bit operating systems
    4 GB RAM for 64-bit operating systems

Hard Disk Space:
    2.5 GB of hard disk space free

Monitor:
    19" with screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 or higher

Printer:
    Laser printer with a print speed of at least 17 ppm and a
    minimum of 32 MB RAM.

CD drive:
    32x CD-ROM or faster

Internet Connection:
    High-speed, such as T-1, DSL, or Cable/Broadband is
    required to license the software, download Web release
    and Internet Updates
    Scanners
    HP 7000 s2

Browser:
    Internet Explorer 9.0 or Internet Explorer 10.0

Add-On Components:
    Microsoft Office 2010: Connects to Outlook and other Office 2010 programs
    only when office is installed using the 32-bit install, not the 64-bit install

Microsoft .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1 Runtime & Microsoft .NET 4.0

Note: Microsoft .NET 3.5 must be installed manually for Windows XP, Vista, 2003
    and 2008 Server. Windows 7 automatically ships with this
    component. Windows 8 comes with .NET 4.5 defailt

To download .NET 3.5, click here.

Note: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 must be installed manually for Windows 7, XP, Vista, 2003
    and 2008 Server.

To download .NET 4.0, click here.

I already have an adequate printer, scanner, & internet connection.

Thanks
    You can use your current monitor with your new computer. In fact, you would probably have to pay extra if you wanted to buy a monitor, because monitors aren't often included in the purchase price.

Since you don't want to use a touch screen, you can get Windows 8.x and stay in Desktop mode. There are several add-ons which allow you to operate strictly in Desktop mode, such that it appears that you are using Windows 7 -- StartIsBack, Start8, etc.

Your printer will very likely work in Windows 8.x. Your scanner will probably work in Windows 8.x, but that is not as certain as the printer.

Unless you have some really old software or hardware that you must have, get 64-bit Windows, get at least 4 GB of memory with the computer, and make sure that you can expand the memory in the computer to at least 8 GB. This will ensure that your computer will be good for many years.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You can use your current monitor with your new computer. In fact, you would probably have to pay extra if you wanted to buy a monitor, because monitors aren't often included in the purchase price.

Unless you have some really old software or hardware that you must have, get 64-bit Windows
    My intention is to use both my current monitor & also get another monitor with the new Desktop.
    I would then use both monitors with the new Desktop. I do realize that the monitors do not come with the Desktop.

I do have some old software I use that I can no longer get updates for.
    It would probably not run in even 32-bit Windows, so even if I get 64-bit Windows 8, couldn't I still run that old software in Windows 8?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    Could I not overcome that by adding a card to the new Desktop to fit that connector?
    Maybe. It depends on the operating system. It may not support a discrete video card which has the connector. What connect type is used (or available if there is more than one) on your current monitor?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you do not see a need for mobility then get a desktop. Desktop PCs are going to be around for quite a while.

Do you have Office 2010 already? If not, do you know which Office SKU you need? Have you considered Office 365 Home Premium?

Windows may have bare bones drivers for the printer but these drivers will most likely not take advantage of all the features available in the printer. What printer do you have?

If Drivers, Software & Firmware for HP Scanjet Enterprise Flow 7000 s2 Sheet-feed Scanner is your scanner you are in good shape.

Do you have a need for the "Pro" SKU of Windows?

Joe

Thanks
    Chances are you can get a dual video card cheap for your computer. You can plug both monitors into it, and then specify that the right one is an extension of the left one.

I say "chances are" because I have a dual video card which I used for Windows 7, but there is no driver for my card for Windows 8. But it's no longer an issue, because I now have one big monitor rather than two small monitors. Just make sure that your dual video card is compatible with Windows 8.x, and that it will work with your computer (your computer will probably use PCI Express cards).

Most old software will work with Windows 8. If you are definitely going with Windows 8, and per chance a program won't work with it, you could run an older version of Windows in a Virtual Machine session. I wouldn't worry about that too much, but the possibility does exist that a program won't work in Windows 8.

If you have a friend who has Windows 8, you could try installing your program on that computer, to see if it will work.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually have 2 different software that I am sure will NOT work in any Version of Windows 8

1 is so old, it will not even work in XP.
    I still have a much older Desktop that runs Windows 98SE that I kept just to run that software.
    That software is no longer sold, so getting an updated version is not possible.

The other software does run in XP, but will definitely NOT run in Windows 8.
    I could get an updated version of that software that would run in Windows 8, but I use that software so little, it really does not make any sense to spend approx $700 for a current version that really does nothing more than what my older version does.

My thought was to just run the XP capable software in Windows 8.
    But, is there any chance that software that will not run in anything more current than Windows 98SE could run in Windows 98?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 98 is one of the compatibility settings available for an executable. Do you know someone with Windows 8 or 8.1 that would let you experiment?

XP is also a compatibility setting you could try for the other program.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe. It depends on the operating system. It may not support a discrete video card which has the connector. What connect type is used (or available if there is more than one) on your current monitor?

Joe
    The monitor is a Dell 2007WFP Color Monitor (20" Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel Display).
    The monitor was purchased with the Desktop System on 1-22-2007 (7 years ago).

It has 2 possible connectors.
    A DVI cable connector (which is what I am using).
    It can also be connected via a VGA cable (which I have never used).
    It also has a USB cable connected to the monitor for the 3 USB ports on the monitor. I am using only 1 of those USB ports for my webcam which has not been used for ages.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have Office 2010 already? If not, do you know which Office SKU you need? Have you considered Office 365 Home Premium?

Windows may have bare bones drivers for the printer but these drivers will most likely not take advantage of all the features available in the printer. What printer do you have?

If Drivers, Software & Firmware for HP Scanjet Enterprise Flow 7000 s2 Sheet-feed Scanner is your scanner you are in good shape.

Do you have a need for the "Pro" SKU of Windows?

Joe

I am still using Office 2003 on the current Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop.
    It also was purchased with the Desktop System on 1-22-2007 (7 years ago).

I am considering Office 365, but have not yet made the final decision.

My printer/scanner/copier is actually the multi-function machine Brother MFC8840D with 32 MB of memory.
    It is connected to the Dell Dimension 9200 via a USB cable.
    It is a little older, having been purchased on 9-5-2005.

My version of XP is XP Professional, so I may be interested in the Pro version of Windows 8 (depending on the price differential), but probably could get by with a lesser version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast