2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows 7 - File Associations

I'm getting the error message shown in the attachment whenever try to do anything with Open With...\Choose default program or Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations

I've run SFC scannow as Admin - nothing to repair
    I've run malwarebytes, MSE, ESET and Trend Micro Scans - found nothing
    I've tried System Restore back to the 6th Jan, cant get back beyond that as it throws a message saying it can't find a file and I should disable AV - I use MSE

On the 5th I reinstalled MS Office 2007 Home/Premium and Outlook 2007 to try to overcome the Word 2007 Spell Checker Doesn't Like Non-Breaking Hyphens bug - I suspect this created the problem because I don't need to change file associations much these day. And needless to say a fresh install did not fix the bug!!

Its every file type that throws the error, and at least one file extension - .err - doesn't show up in the File Associations list.

Before I leap off and do an inplace repair/install I'm hoping someone might have a better (quicker) idea

pjd

ADDED 2014-01-11

I also ran a ccleaner registry clean - that didn't fix it either
    And I tried a minimal Safe Boot - same deal there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2014-01-10 at 16:14.

Thanks
    Try reinstalling Irfanview.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Try reinstalling Irfanview.
    OK I tried that, didn't fix it

But it gave me the idea to uninstall everything that I've installed/reinstalled since Dec 1st 2013 (including Office & WU updates) - didn't fix it.

I'm confident I've used Open With since the beginning of Dec, because I added another viewer for PDF with Open With (firefox) since then.

I just ticked the AVI box in Irfanview's associations list, that worked, then I unchecked it, and the default association went back to MPC

pjd