New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Having an absolute nightmare with 15 day old new PC. Please....help.

Im a musician and make music on my pc. I had xp and it served me well for years , but due to the software increasingly becoming more CPU hungry , I've been forced to upgrade , so I bought myself a new asus base unit on 26/12/2013 , and for 1 week installed lots of VSTs to try and get my new pc set up the way my old laptop was. . The new PC is 15 days old today and im having loads of problems. I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

1. when I tried to install a particular vst , in the space where I had to enter my serial number , it wouldn't let me and said "log in as administrator". I am the only person using this computer , and I am set up as an admin. When I investifated "user accounts" and "permissions" , it says I have "full control" but there is a box at the bottom which is greyed out , called "special permissions" and I cant tick it.

2. All of a sudden , windows explorer hangs when exploring either of my 2 external drives , but only when I get down to 3rd level files. When I right-click a file to select "play using windows media player " , the right click menu doesn;t appear and the green search bar s taking forever , stops , and hangs.

3. windows media player has stopped working , and when I try to play music files with the built-in asus player ( which the files are associated with ) it tells me I have to update in the store , so...the store loads , I try to update it and it kept saying pending. Eventually it said installed , but still doesnt work because explorer keeps scanning my drives and hanging.

4. I finally had enough of this and discovered I could refresh windows , so I tried that. After half an hour of finger tapping , it informed me it couldnt refresh it. Great !!

5. I thought " yeah , i'll set it back to that system restore point I made where everything was working fine " , so I opened sys restore , and my restore point had been replaced with one the pc made itself.....yesterday.

6. Sometimes when i restart the pc , it wont start right and says "preparing automatic repirs". The little circle spins for a while , then the computer clicks and I realise its stopped , so I press the power button to turn it off , turn it back on again and sometimes a light blue screen will appear saying " your pc wouldn't start" and suggests I look at "bad system config info"

I feel like hurling it through a window right now. Windows 8 is a nightmare !!!
    Im careful when installing things and always try to do things by the book , so why all this crap ???

Please can someone help me. This shouldn't be happening to a 2 week old PC. At least I still have my warranty , but I have a lot of work to do and its crucial I get it done , and I don't want to spend another tedious week installing VSTs all over again , so that really is the last resort.

I dont even know where to start to fix this debacle of a PC =(

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge

Sorry about your bad experience. I totally understand how you feel, you shouldn't need to fight the machine to get the work done. If it's any consolation, I have been there,a although not to that bad level.

I seriously don't know whether I would try to fix the stuff you now have or I would start anew. It seems you have serious enough issues to prompt you to try a refresh, so maybe that's where I would pick up. I would save all your user data (docs, files, etc) and factory reset Windows - I guess you will have a manual to do that.

Once the reset was done, I would try and install the minimum set of working software you need and once I got there, I would get a 3rd party imaging app and would take an image - this would be your gold image, your fallback point in case anything would go wrong from then on.
    I would then try to get any other stuff working. I have seen Windows 8 situations where permissions issues arose. You may try to install problematic apps as an admin (right click the installer, choose Run As Administrator - yes, your account is an administrator account but it doesn't run at the highest level of permissions.

I would also look at security apps - what have you been running? Sometimes these are the cause of issues similar to some of yours (permissions, even crashes). If you are running something other than the vanilla Windows 8 security apps, maybe they need to be looked at even before going for the factory reset.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge

Sorry about your bad experience. I totally understand how you feel, you shouldn't need to fight the machine to get the work done. If it's any consolation, I have been there,a although not to that bad level.

I seriously don't know whether I would try to fix the stuff you now have or I would start anew. It seems you have serious enough issues to prompt you to try a refresh, so maybe that's where I would pick up. I would save all your user data (docs, files, etc) and factory reset Windows - I guess you will have a manual to do that.

Once the reset was done, I would try and install the minimum set of working software you need and once I got there, I would get a 3rd party imaging app and would take an image - this would be your gold image, your fallback point in case anything would go wrong from then on.
    I would then try to get any other stuff working. I have seen Windows 8 situations where permissions issues arose. You may try to install problematic apps as an admin (right click the installer, choose Run As Administrator - yes, your account is an administrator account but it doesn't run at the highest level of permissions.

I would also look at security apps - what have you been running? Sometimes these are the cause of issues similar to some of yours (permissions, even crashes). If you are running something other than the vanilla Windows 8 security apps, maybe they need to be looked at even before going for the factory reset.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I'd rather try to fix the problems if possible , then if that fails , I could do a factory reset.....however , nothing else seems to work right , and I can envisage windows telling me it can't do it after an hour thinking about it , or asking me for a serial number....which I dont have as I got no discs when I bought it.
    One thing I have done is make a recovery drive on a 32GB flash drive , and , thankfully , all of my docs and data are saved on 2 external drives , which , incidentally , I have tested via the properties > tools tab , and they are working fine , but windows explorer wont displat them right , even after a reboot ( switched off at the wall for 10 minutes too )

For security , I uninstalled McAfee cos I heared that many horror stories about it that I didnt want it on my pc. I installed AVG free , Malware Bytes Anti malware and Spybot search and destroy. I've not even heard of vanilla.

Installing a minimum set of programs is appealing as making music is real-time processing and all the processes , services , apps , games....i dont want or need any of that stuff. I need my ram to be used by my music software and firefox and thats all i need. So much clutter and rubbish that I will never use.

Thanks
    Ensure you've completely removed all of the McAfee residue/garbage using their tool, scroll down to section #2 for details and the download link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS101331

Thanks
    What is a VST?

Administrator
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-01-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try opening an elevated command prompt and typing DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. This would repair any corruption in the windows component store. I don't know that your problem is there but this is worth a try.

Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Before I start making comments or suggestions... On a brand new ASUS, a brand which I recommend & hold in high regard, I would start by talking w/ ASUS. Their warrantee & customer service are super.

Your Win8.1 experience should be problem free. Something other than the OS itself is causing your issues.

One does need to elevate privileges for some things sometimes. You could do a Refresh (not Restore), run Malwarebytes, run sfc /scannow & more but, I would talk w/ ASUS 1st.

Someone mention McAfee. IF, the machine came offering McAfee or some other security, don't use it. Just stick w/ the security native to the OS (Windows Defender) which is On by default... as long as one doesn't take the 3rd Party security.

Are you certain the VST software supports Windows 8.1? Remember, you went from a very old XP to Win 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have friends (who are musicians) who have switched from Windows XP to Windows 8/8.1? Are they having problems? If they are or are not, will tell you which way you need to go. Whether you need to figure out what is wrong with your hardware software configuration, or if you need to return your new computer, and get something else. You can buy a used computers with XP on it that are quite powerful, Or you can find a new computer with Windows 7 on it.

Do you have friends who have switched from Windows XP to Windows 7? Are they having problems?

I'm not a musician, and I have not installed VSTs. I did an internet search on them, and I found out that you can install them to add musical effects to a synthesizer. Did the synthesizer software install OK? If you can't install the VSTs, how can you tell?

Anyway if I were you I would start with your musician friends and come to the computer geeks later.