Lounger
    Thanks

Offline: Signature Collision error

I've just bought my 3rd WD 'My Passport' 2TG USB3 drives.

Unfortunately it can't co-exist with one of the original two using W7 Pro 64bit.

In 'Computer Management' it's shown as being 'Offline' - because it has a signature collision.

After some Googling, I find that the 'Volume Serial Number' is the same as the existing one - that's the 66A4-8F43 type number shown when typing 'DIR' at the DOS prompt.

Some websites mention another number that is stored many times over in the registry.

The recommendation for a permanent fix is to backup it's data and then 'FORMAT'. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem.

Only one disk can exist at a time and Windows keeps changing it's drive letter to the letter used by the other one last time it was connected. Incidentally a re-boot is required to gain access to the other one.

Any suggestion, please?

Reg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Reg,

According to this About.com Article.
    A volume serial number is created based on a fairly complex combination of the year, hour, month, second, and hundredth of a second that the drive was formatted.

Since volume serial numbers are not generated at random and without knowledge of the volume serial numbers on other drives in the computer, there's a chance that two drives on the same computer could end up having the same volume serial number. However, the chance is infinitesimally small and isn't considered a concern.
    Things I would confirm/Try:
    1. Does the WD have more than 1 partition? If so did you format the Primary/Active partition?
    2. Try deleting all partitions on the drive roboot then format.
    3. You could also try the above using a different computer, may give different results.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Things I would confirm/Try:
    1. Does the WD have more than 1 partition? If so did you format the Primary/Active partition?
    2. Try deleting all partitions on the drive roboot then format.
    3. You could also try the above using a different computer, may give different results.

HTH
    Thanks for a swift reply.

I've been aware of Volume Serial Numbers from the early days of DOS, but I don't think this problem is solely related to these numbers, as my quick format changed the new disk's number. But what Windows has done with it's registry, is any ones guess!

Like all WD drives it has their second 'Virtual CD' (VCD), that's used for the encryption features, that I've never used. I fell over this nasty, when WD introduced it as my previous WD drives did not have the problem. I then found a method to disable it under XP, so that the drive did not use-up two drive letters.

With new W7 computers, I just don't install the SES (SCSI Enclosure Services) driver. WD say that these VCDs can not be removed, so no point in trying!

I have similar problems on other computers, when the second of these pair are plugged-in. Only the OS response is different. The first sign of trouble, was when I connected it to W7 Home - the OS told be to format the drive!

The first of the pair will always work and the second fail. Re-boot and reverse the order of plugging-in and still the last one fails.

I initially did a quick format as it's 2TB, and re-booted. But now doing the very long full format.

Reg
    (Another retired Geek!)

Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

The format is still running.............

Found this:-

http://http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6571/p/228,195,330/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4OTQ3NjUzMC9zaWQvanNDSlg3S2w%3D

So WD are aware of a problem.

But if I remember correctly, right clicking as at the end of those instructions, did not offer an 'Online' option. All were greyed-out apart from Help (I think).

Reg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Reg,

Did you try running Computer Management (compmgmt.msc) as Administrator? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks

Offline-Signature-Collision-error - SOLVED

The full format ran into the night, but in the morning, after a few re-boots, the problem still remained.

The WD customer help solution did not work (I was correct about the greyed-out options) when I had another attempt.

Doing, "6. Right click on the disk in the area that says Offline, and select Online" did not work.

However changing that to 'right click on the disk area' and NOT on the 'Offline area', did produce live options. This time it worked.

So I can now access both drives connected at the same time. Let's hope that Windows does not revert as often happens!

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Reg,

Did you try running Computer Management (compmgmt.msc) as Administrator? HTH
    No, as I only have setup one a/c and that's as Administrator, although I notice that certain features require special action to invoke Administrator status, such as the CLI prompt.