New Lounger
    Thanks

WI-FI disconnects when power cable is connected

Hi, this is a problem I've been having for a few weeks and I can't seem to fix it or find a solution online.
    I have a Gateway laptop and every time I try to charge it my Wi-Fi disconnects and even my TV doesn't work. The channels just stop working. The charger I'm using isn't the original one since it broke so I got a universal charger. I didn't have this problem when I first got this charger but now it just completely removes the Internet connection every time I plug it in to charge my laptop. My battery does need some replacing but I don't think that's the issue because I tried charging my other laptop with this charger and it still disconnected me from the Internet. I don't know what's causing and I really need a solution. I had two previous chargers and had no problems but this universal charger is giving me a hard time connecting to the Internet. Is there a way to fix this?

P.S. I think there may be a problem with my home's WI-FI because I tried to charge this laptop with the same charger at the library and I was able to connect to the Internet.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Try the charger as far away as you can from the router, put a few walls between them - you might be able to find a spot to charge the notebook without tripping out the WiFi.

It sounds like the charger is 'breaking down' and emitting spurious radio waves that are interfering with your router. Another method to test this would be to temporarily turn off Wifi on the router and connect the netbook via an Ethernet cable while charging.

An old hack to check for interference over radio frequencies is to use an AM/FM radio close to the suspected source of the problem and scan through the wavelengths, listening for noise - that noise would vary in loudness, depending on how close the radio is to the source.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try getting an original charger built for your Laptop as some of these universal ones are not very well built.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do try checking for Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) with an AM/FM radio, set it to 612KHz and listen for a clear buzz which should diminish as you move the radio a quarter to half a metre away from the adapter or any other suspect source.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

satrow (2014-01-12)

Thanks
    Also, a common culprit is a portable phone too close to the wifi modem.

It happened to me.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"