New Lounger
    Thanks

Freezes on splash screen after reboot

Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Whenever I need to do a reboot for any reason, I get the splash screen,hear the HD run then shut down and stay on the splash screen. Control/alt/delete does nothing. The only way to reboot is to hit the on/off button, then restarts ok. Tried the on-board start-up repair,no help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try resetting the CMOS or checking for a BIOS update.

It could also be a memory problem, so try it with alternate single sticks or test the memory with Memtest86+

Opening a command prompt as an administrator and entering the command chkdsk will run a read-only mode and report any bad files/sectors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Blade53405 (2014-01-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hopefully one of these will fix it!

First do as Sudo15 suggested. When you run chkdsk, use the /R switch ('locate bad sectors') so that even unused portions of the disk are checked (because it's possible that some of them are malfunctioning when they are written to).

Install a freeware system information program that displays hard disk SMART info, and run it to check your disk isn't expiring. DiskCheckup is a good one.

Do full scans for both viruses and spyware in case a malware infection at shutdown or startup is causing the problem.

If you're still having problems, select Run in the Start menu, and type msconfig. On the Boot tab, select 'Selective startup' and untick 'Load startup items'. Then try rebooting. If no problems, try rebooting 5-6 more times. If still no problems, it looks like a startup process was causing your computer to hang, so in MSConfig's Startup tab, re-enable items one by one until you identify the culprit.

If no joy from the above, or disabling some startup items seems to help but in a random sort of manner, maybe you have so many startup items that it's causing your machine to choke. Download Startup Delayer from here, carefully read its documentation so you know how to use it, and try running with a number of delayed startup processes. (If you later uninstall Startup Delayer, be sure to return all items to normal startup first, or they'll disappear when you delete Startup Delayer, causing who knows what side effects.)

Failing all the above, try a refresh install of Windows, or a fresh OS install on a new partition. Be sure not to accidentally overwrite your current partition and your data. Partition backup first (you should be doing so before all the steps here).

If you still have problems then you've probably got a hardware problem. If it' a desktop, unplug from mains, open it up, and reseat all cards and plugs (don't touch any contacts, static electricity will fry components).

Still got the problem? Unless you do your own mains equipment electronic repairs, get your computer serviced (after a partition backup so they don't wipe all your data without warning, as often happens, and removing all your passwords etc.).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadsteve For This Useful Post:

Blade53405 (2014-01-14)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If chkdsk in read-only mode reports bad sectors then it's advisable to back up your files before running chkdsk /r as data can be lost when it attempts to move the data to the good sectors.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Compaq desktop that does the same thing...when it's cold. After letting it sit at the splash screen for a while, the disk warms up and will start. When it's warm, it will either restart or shut down and then start right up. I'm frugal (cheap) so I just deal with it. It works fine once it's running.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    I have a Compaq desktop that does the same thing...when it's cold. After letting it sit at the splash screen for a while, the disk warms up and will start. When it's warm, it will either restart or shut down and then start right up. I'm frugal (cheap) so I just deal with it. It works fine once it's running.
    So have you tried anything to resolve it ?

If you haven't then HP's Diagnostics may find something http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01895819
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-14 at 17:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did the bios ck no updates. Ran the memory and disc ck all ok. Then did the startup ck box, after 135 restarts, found a software error for my external H/D. Corrected that problem and up back running just fine. Big thanks to bigbadsteve.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm! interesting. I get the same issue on about 60% of restarts/start-ups if I leave an external USB HD connected and powered on. Never have a problem with the external drive powered off or disconnected. I have 3 external drives and get the same problem with all 3, so imagine the issue is OS related rather than a problem on the external drives themselves.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade53405 View Post
    I did the bios ck no updates. Ran the memory and disc ck all ok. Then did the startup ck box, after 135 restarts, found a software error for my external H/D. Corrected that problem and up back running just fine. Big thanks to bigbadsteve.
    Wasn't aware that you had an external HD plugged in when booting as that can confuse Windows as it doesn't know which to boot from as Moose has found, but what was the software error that you had found ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be wrong here, but would assume the external device would need a boot block on it for Windows to try and boot it - none of my 3 externals are bootable, hence no boot blocks, so Windows shouldn't be confused on this issue? If that were the problem though, would expect Windows to trip-up every Start/Restart not 60% of the time as in my case. I also have the BIOS set to boot from internal HDD only, I use the F12 Boot Menu when I boot from a mem. stick for example.
    I would also like to know what the software error was that you found if poss. please

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose48 View Post
    I may be wrong here, but would assume the external device would need a boot block on it for Windows to try and boot it - none of my 3 externals are bootable, hence no boot blocks, so Windows shouldn't be confused on this issue? If that were the problem though, would expect Windows to trip-up every Start/Restart not 60% of the time as in my case. I also have the BIOS set to boot from internal HDD only, I use the F12 Boot Menu when I boot from a mem. stick for example.
    I would also like to know what the software error was that you found if poss. please
    Some computers will boot fine with an external HDD plugged in and some don't like it, but if your BIOS has the option for Legacy USB support, then disable it and that should resolve the 60%.

This may have been the "software error"/fix that had slipped my mind.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is presently a malware which does this. Run at least three of them to catch it just as a sanity check.
    I have been hit with it three times lately.
    Run the checks offline then restart, It has a phone home backup.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The software came with my Western Digital My Passport back-up H/D. It runs all the time on on/off, it is only used as a constant backup...until now! Checked with WD faq's they are aware of this, and said to shut down boot from usb.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I periodically experience this issue because some (random) USB device is holding up the boot process--like my PC decided this time that the USB hub is a bootable drive, or some USB device I have is critical to loading the system. These above steps are excellent for troubleshooting, but my first one (that sometimes saves me having to do the rest) is to try booting with only keyboard and mouse connected.

Hope that helps too.