Thanks

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Microsoft tries to put Windows 8 in the rear-view mirror
    Paul Thurrott - Jan. 11, 2014
    In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8—just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The sad thing, if I've read some of the net usage statistics correctly, is that iOS and Android-based browsing devices are just going gangbusters while the RT, Windows 8 phone type devices, are barely visible and NOT growing at all. Now I'm sure the RT devices are being used more like computers than the iOS and Android devices are and they won't show up in web-site visit statistics (while ChromeOS is nothing but a browser)...but still, so far, as big a bust as Win 8 is on the computer side, it looks like a monumental failure so far on the devices side of things, at least insofar as Microsoft's attempt to compete with those aforementioned iOS and Android devices, especially and most importantly, in the USA. Sorry D, those are the cold hard facts.

Thanks
    ... Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment. That's a disaster, and Threshold needs to strike a better balance between meeting the needs of over a billion traditional PC users while enticing users to adopt this new Windows on new types of personal computing devices. In short, [Threashold] needs to be everything that Windows 8 is not.

Thanks
    What would please and excite me the most with a brand spanking new release...

1 Disentangle IE, Media player, & the MS email client logon from the OS, make them optional.
    2 Dump Metro from the desktop version, or make it an optional install.
    3 Seriously slim down all the bloated code. I know this can be done successfully if they really wanted to.
    4 Make the full Windows 7-like start menu optional, some of us do really like NO start menu at all.
    5 Bring back all the XP-like menu size, color, and font personalization properties.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-01-13 at 10:55.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Register has an article about this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01...say_microsoft/

Where it says Microsoft will try to convince us that they have really gotten the message, and now they will fix it. I don't believe it, but we'll see.

Clint has made some very good comments about Windows 8/8.1 and what Windows 9 should be:

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What would please and excite me the most with a brand spanking new release...

1 Disentangle IE, Media player, & the MS email client logon from the OS, make them optional.
    3 Seriously slim down all the bloated code. I know this can be done successfully if they really wanted to.
    4 Make the full Windows 7-like start menu optional, some of us do really like NO start menu at all.
    5 Bring back all the XP-like menu size, color, and font personalization properties.
    I don't want to have to deal with a walled garden in which Microsoft gets a rake-off from everything I install.
    If a computer has a touch screen, Metro should be the default, if it does not have a touch screen the desktop should be the default.
    If a computer has two monitors, one a 24" 1920x1080 monitor and the other a 20" 1366x768 monitor with a touch screen,
    then it should default to Desktop on the 24" monitor, and Metro on the 20" monitor. Would that be so hard?
    If a user wants something else, they should be able to configure it the way they want it..
    When development managers allocate resources, slimming down bloated code is often on the list,
    but only rarely rises high enough on the list to actually be assigned to a developer.
    Code that works is nearly immortal, bloated, slow and buggy or not.
    I want the Windows Start Menu back, and I want it to be a lot like the Windows 7 Start Menu,
    but as hard as it is for me to understand, I accept that some people don't like it,
    and that most people never use it. Everything that can be optional, should be optional.
    I repeat, everything that can be optional, should be optional.

Thanks
    IMHO, it's too late.

Consumers don't buy a device because it's running a particular operating system, they simply want something that will help them do what they want to do. They used to buy Windows PCs because, at the time, it was pretty much the only option.

Kicking off the International CES (Consumer Electronics Show) this year, the top two PC makers -- Lenovo and Hewlett Packard -- launched all-in-one systems powered by: Android.

Android is now familiar, it has a thriving app ecosystem and it's free.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-24)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, maybe the patent royalties Microsoft makes on every Android or ChromOS device made by Foxconn will cover the next write-off.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Unless they want to become the next IBM — brilliant but invisible to consumers — they need to get their act together.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Unless they want to become the next IBM — brilliant but invisible to consumers — they need to get their act together.
    Hmm, sounds interesting. Isn't IBM Lenovo?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Kala,

Lenovo only bought the IBM PC business. IBM is still in big HW (mainframes) and especially custom software solutions (consulting). HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And as of yesterday, Lenovo has also bought the IBM x86 server business.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Kala,

Lenovo only bought the IBM PC business. IBM is still in big HW (mainframes) and especially custom software solutions (consulting). HTH
    Ah, I see. I saw one of their tablets from the CES show, and I'm thinking of getting it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    aren't all the even numbered versions bad?
    haven't they always fixed their mistakes in the next odd version?

they need to make a rock solid real time desktop opsys like XPpro without the compromises

and keep their tablet attempts like win 8 totally separate

it looks like they really want to make us RENT all the software
    and only be able to get it from billyg directly
    next they will make us store our data on the cloud with no local media

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post

it looks like they really want to make us RENT all the software
    and only be able to get it from billyg directly
    Bill Gates stepped down as chief executive officer of Microsoft in January 2000. His last full-time day there was June 27, 2008. Most of his time is now devoted to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.