Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixing hard disk with Win7 chkdsk: urgent

Hi there,

I have win 8.1 64 bit installed on a dell inspiron 5421. I installed the free firewall COMODO. When I launched a game (BigFish.com), the firewall requested several permissions to let it start (it was freshly installed and that was the first time the game was launched). I gave all the permissions, but eventually when the game started the screen went black. Tried to ctrl+ALT+canc, ALT+TAB ... nothing happened. Being tired of waiting, I forced the system to shut down.

When I restarted it, all the fonts were screwed up. I could not read a single word in the commands, the files' names, etc.

I tried to re-install windows, but I only have a win 8.0 dvd, and for some reasons, the only viable option that the installer gave me was to eliminate all the files and applications on the disk... I tried to click one of the links below the shutdown symbol, but the win 8.1 "desktop" began to "flash" without control ...

I thought the whole OS was probably screwed up, therefore I removed the hard disk from the laptop, and I connected it to another pc, with win 7 pro (NTFS, 32 bit).
    My intention was to back up all the files, and then re-install win 8.0.

However, as soon as I connected the disk to the pc, the OS suggested me to run a checkdisk (automatically fix file system errors + scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors) .... I thought that maybe it was a good idea ... it is several hours that it is running now.
    I have now two concerns:
    1) wouldn't win 7 totally screw up the file system of win 8.1 trying to fix it? If yes, what would be the problem?
    2) It seems to last forever... can I interrupt the process? What are the risks?

I hope someone could provide any suggestions to fix the hard disk... my backup is rather old and I need to at least recover the files!!

In win 7 pro (at least now that checkdisk is running), I cannot see the disk's contents... maybe because it's 32 bit?

Pls help!!

Thanks
    Last edited by polgy70; 2014-01-12 at 18:17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

There are no differences between the file system used by Windows 8 and Windows 7. Chkdsk should be able to fix things, hopefully. You should wait for chkdsk to complete and then try to access the disk contents. You should be able to access the disk once chkdsk completes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Chkdsk /r also has the attributes of chkdsk /f which is to repair files but for another HD you would have to include the drive letter and I'm not sure what it would try to replace the files with and you can stop the chkdsk.

I think a better option would be to put the HDD back into the Win 8.1 machine and see if you can boot up into Safe Mode and uninstall Comodo and possibly the game.

Check to see if it will then boot up normally to use Win 8's repair tools http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...fresh-reset-pc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for your replies!

I understand that booting in safe mode is rather complicated in win8.1 ( http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boo...s-8-windows-81 ) ... plus remember I cannot read anything!!

I will try to wait for the checkdisk to finish ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well, now the checkdisk counts more than 353,000 files and still counting ... aren't they a bit too many? The hd is 750 gb, and my files should not be more than 190,000 ... the bar is only at about 10% .. is it possible that the checkdisk is not working properly?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately a full chkdsk on a drive the size of yours will take a long time, best to just have patience and let it finish.

I wouldn't be too concerned on the number of files as I have a relatively new installation of W8.0 and the 1st step of chkdsk reports ~268k file records.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes it's best to first run chkdsk without any parameters which is a read-only mode and then you can see what you are up against.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Chkdsk /r also has the attributes of chkdsk /f which is to repair files but for another HD you would have to include the drive letter and I'm not sure what it would try to replace the files with and you can stop the chkdsk.
    Does chkdsk ever replace files with anything?

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

Bruce
    I did try to read through http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941 to try to give a definitive answer to that but my eyes started to droop so I'll let you read through and then perhaps you can make your own mind up on that.

And don't forget to let us know what it is

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Polgy, good morning.
    I just yesterday fixed another Dell laptop for my daughter, it would not boot at all, reported a "non-bootable" device and froze. I removed the SATA 200 G HD and connected it via USB to my main machine. It got studied by W-8 and reported that it got a "fix", it is running XP. I then replaced the HD into the Dell and it then saw a problem and tried to fix it and it did after about 5 minutes of looking at files etc.. I have no information as to what it found/fixed but the procedure worked. YMMV ??? . Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polgy70 View Post
    Hi there,

I have win 8.1 64 bit installed on a dell inspiron 5421. I installed the free firewall COMODO. When I launched a game (BigFish.com), the firewall requested several permissions to let it start (it was freshly installed and that was the first time the game was launched). I gave all the permissions, but eventually when the game started the screen went black. Tried to ctrl+ALT+canc, ALT+TAB ... nothing happened. Being tired of waiting, I forced the system to shut down.

When I restarted it, all the fonts were screwed up. I could not read a single word in the commands, the files' names, etc.

I tried to re-install windows, but I only have a win 8.0 dvd, and for some reasons, the only viable option that the installer gave me was to eliminate all the files and applications on the disk... I tried to click one of the links below the shutdown symbol, but the win 8.1 "desktop" began to "flash" without control ...

I thought the whole OS was probably screwed up, therefore I removed the hard disk from the laptop, and I connected it to another pc, with win 7 pro (NTFS, 32 bit).
    My intention was to back up all the files, and then re-install win 8.0.

However, as soon as I connected the disk to the pc, the OS suggested me to run a checkdisk (automatically fix file system errors + scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors) .... I thought that maybe it was a good idea ... it is several hours that it is running now.
    I have now two concerns:
    1) wouldn't win 7 totally screw up the file system of win 8.1 trying to fix it? If yes, what would be the problem?
    2) It seems to last forever... can I interrupt the process? What are the risks?

I hope someone could provide any suggestions to fix the hard disk... my backup is rather old and I need to at least recover the files!!

In win 7 pro (at least now that checkdisk is running), I cannot see the disk's contents... maybe because it's 32 bit?

Pls help!!

Thanks
    I have a bit of past experience w/ something close to this. It was on a customer's machine few years ago. Although, I recall it was an HP but, that (the brand) is unimportant... Putting more than one firewall in a machine can oft crash the HDD.

Once you are back on track, do not install that COMODO firewall thing. Just use the Windows Firewall which, is native to the OS & ON by default. I will go as far as to say it is what caused the problem.

I'm not too sure about that game maybe, also, being a problem. If it is a P2P thing then not a good idea.

Right now, on the basis of the story given, my recommendation is format the HDD & do not use Quick Format and re-install Windows 8 from your DVD. Then go get Windows 8.1 from the Store & do the Upgrade of that.

This would be the surest FIX.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 8.1

Anybody else notice the Insert Image tool here doesn't seem to be working recently?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Putting more than one firewall in a machine can oft crash the HDD.
    Eh?

There may be software conflicts with multiple firewalls but I've never heard of them crashing a hard drive.

Thanks
    Yes, agree, certainly, those conflicts. However, it's just a thought since, on the occasion I'd referenced, a Tech @ HP said "It will crash our hard drives". That was a # of years ago. It had come to mind because in that instance the name was, also, COMODO.

And, will concede, should not say "oft".

In this fellows case it is hard to decipher if it's 'crashed' per se or that the OS and its registry are broken, damaged, corrupt. No matter a rebuild would appear necessary.

Unless, of course, I've not picked up the issue he's describing correctly.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polgy70 View Post
    thanks for your replies!

I understand that booting in safe mode is rather complicated in win8.1 ( http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boo...s-8-windows-81 ) ... plus remember I cannot read anything!!

I will try to wait for the checkdisk to finish ...
    As I recall, if you hold down the shift key while clicking Reboot, when it reboots it will give you the menu which allows you to choose Safe Mode.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

Bruce
    Chkdsk with the /r switch (implies /f) will attempt to recover files/file segments from bad sectors and move those recovered files to unused good sectors (and afterward mark the bad sectors as unusable), which is to say chkdsk may re-place files to a safe/stable location, but it won't replace files with anything.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast