New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Removing Desktop File Icons

I could not readily find an answer to this specific question in the Windows 7 Forum or by using the Windows 7 Help function of my new computer. I have two desktop.ini icons (not shortcuts) on my desktop that I did not put there. They also show up in the associated folder in Windows Explorer. I cannot "delete" them from my desktop without actually deleting a file that may be needed. Help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    They show because you have set the "view" options in Windows Explorer to display hidden operating system files. See What Are These desktop.ini Files I Keep Seeing? for more information about these files.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am one of those folks who likes to see everything in Windows Explorer. However, I do not want to see them on my desktop. This did not happen with Windows XP. Is there any way to keep them off of the desktop with Windows 7?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, not that I know.

Joe

Thanks
    What are the contents of the files? This might tell you which program uses them and enable you to move them to somewhere more appropriate, The other thing to try is to rename them and see what breaks (if anything),

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    What are the contents of the files? This might tell you which program uses them and enable you to move them to somewhere more appropriate, The other thing to try is to rename them and see what breaks (if anything),
    The OP is talking specifically about desktop.ini files which are created by Windows. See the linked article in post #2.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe, I should have read that link. I too like to see everything but that's one option I will keep at the default value. I show hidden files, folders et al and that doesn't show anything on the desktop and that's good enough for me. W7340, I would suggest that you don't need to see system operating files. XP isn't Win 7

Thanks
    FWIW, I've simply deleted desktop.ini files wherever I've encountered them. I've had no issues.

YMMV
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    BB, hello. My mileage did not vary, I too have been deleting these extra desktop.ini with gusto and so far, all is well.
    At one time, I would click on the upper left corner of the icon and move it all to the screen right side, barely visible, just in case ! Jean.