New Lounger
    Thanks

Failed W7 No reformat, nondestructive reinstall Using Borrowed W7 CD

I attempted to follow the Fred Langa's W7 no-reformat non-destructive reinstall" process (Langa July 14 2011 top story) using borrowed W7 SP1 media as my original W7 Home Premium was OEM version (no media). used jelly bean to find the OEM product ID. Chose upgrade per instructions but instead of reinstall starting I got message saying "Windows can not be upgraded from this media please use Windows Anytime Upgrade option" with no option except to close. This a new copy of W7 SP1 Professional purchased with a new HP business laptop. My intention was to reinstall my original home premium version using the borrowed media by inputting the original oem key. In the article Fred noted that all W7 media contain all versions of W7 but I could not get far enough to do that. Any recommendations for getting past this problem appreciated. glr66

Thanks
    The only thing I can suggest.Would be for you to print out this whole article.Go over it with a fine eye.Here is the link;http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...&r=05833-04882
    The best of luck to you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also tried to follow the instructions in this article, but Windows would not allow me to uninstall the Service Pack, even though my user is an administrator. Has anyone else run into this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glr66 View Post
    I attempted to follow the Fred Langa's W7 no-reformat non-destructive reinstall" process (Langa July 14 2011 top story) using borrowed W7 SP1 media as my original W7 Home Premium was OEM version (no media). used jelly bean to find the OEM product ID. Chose upgrade per instructions but instead of reinstall starting I got message saying "Windows can not be upgraded from this media please use Windows Anytime Upgrade option" with no option except to close. This a new copy of W7 SP1 Professional purchased with a new HP business laptop. My intention was to reinstall my original home premium version using the borrowed media by inputting the original oem key. In the article Fred noted that all W7 media contain all versions of W7 but I could not get far enough to do that. Any recommendations for getting past this problem appreciated. glr66
    The media you use must match your Windows version. You cannot do a reinstall with a W7 Pro DVD on a W7 Home Premium edition.

You can find a legitimate iSO download for your Windows version here: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo of Mars View Post
    I also tried to follow the instructions in this article, but Windows would not allow me to uninstall the Service Pack, even though my user is an administrator. Has anyone else run into this?
    Pick an ISO with the SP1 and you do not need to uninstall SP1 before trying the uninstall. Pick the right download from my previous link and you should be able to use your existing Windows key with it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4