New Lounger
    Thanks

Help with many-to-one mail merge

This is embarrassing. I have university qualifications in computer programmming and yet I am having trouble with the coding for the many-to-one mailmerge. Maybe it is something to do with the fact that I haven't done much coding for awhile.

I downloaded Paul Edstein's tutorial and read it carefully, as well as the example coding on the MS Office site. But despite my best efforts and persistence, and patience with following all the instructions step-by-step, I cannot get either of these to work properly - even the most basic of Paul's examples...

I work in a super-heavily controlled IT environment, so I tried downloading Graham Mayor's add-on but my system blocked me from downloading it. It will similarly strip any potentially nasty files from emails...

So my only choice is to persist with the information in Paul's tutorial. But I'm obviously missing something basic....especially if I can't even get the basic list to occur correctly by copying and pasting Paul's coding and using his provided sample data.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Jo

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jo,

what's the problem?
    When i first read the tut, i missed the bit where you have to use "Shift+F9" to read the code. Hence I was thinking copying and pasting wasn't working.

Also on Graham website after the instructions for add-in, he post some VB code for doing to job the old way.
    I have the same issue with IT hence was looking at making VB code work.

cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still stuck...

Hi huntressolve,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to this but there were some concerns higher up about sending the letters out... now we have a decision to definitely go ahead with sending them so...

I know about the toggling of the coded fields, and can see the code, and can copy and paste it, but nothing seems to work. At least I don't get the expected behaviour.... it just does the one-to-one merge even if I follow all the instructions to the tee. And all the searching on the internet indicates Paul gets a bit frustrated when people don't follow his instructions, understandably... but I just can't figure why others have it working but I don't!

I even tried writing all the programmed field codes in exactly as was set out in Paul's code and a similar thing on Microsoft's Excel help, but to no avail.

At this point, I got really frustrated, and then there was some consternation about the whole letter sending exercise, so I haven't gone back to it. At the moment we are planning to do it all manually, i.e. correct Word's one-to-one mail merge, which will be painful but hopefully will work.

I don't remember seeing the VB code on Graham's website either....I will have another look.

Thanks
    Jo

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JMontague View Post
    I don't get the expected behaviour.... it just does the one-to-one merge even if I follow all the instructions to the tee.
    In all likelihood, you're not using a Directory/Catalogue merge (which the process requires); probably a Letter merge.

For some worked examples based on the tutorial, see the attachments to the posts at:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...html#post23345
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...html#post30327
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post928391

Alternatively, you may want to try one of the Many-to-One Mail Merge add-ins, from:
    Graham Mayor at http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm; or
    Doug Robbins at https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5aedc...615E886B%21566

In addition to a 'Many to One' merge, the latter handles:
    • Merge with Charts
    • Duplex Merge
    • Merge with FormFields
    • Merge with Attachments
    • Merge to Individual Documents
    • Merge, Print and Staple
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post. Actually I was using a directory/mail merge, not a letter merge.

And as I stated in my original post, the Fort Knox IT system I work with, as part of living and working in your home town, won't let me install add ins (which would make life so much easier).

I even tried to get the add-in approved but the process involved would probably take longer than writing the letters manually. I know this sounds crazy but I'm sure you understand. The add-in would be fantastic though as it does many things that we need to do.

Also there are strong indications that we may only have to do this process once or twice anyway, instead of the anticipated thousands of times, so spending hours coding or filling in forms to get something working may not be well invested. Of course if we have to do it more then I will definitely be pushing to get the add-in approved. There is no way I would be doing the anticipated thousands of letters manually.....

Although personally I don't like giving up and I'd love to know exactly what I was doing wrong If I get a chance today I will try and upload the file I was using to 'practice' using your dataset.....

Thanks
    Jo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I knew it was something simple. I got sufficiently annoyed with cutting and pasting the many reords into one Word document that I went back again and tried to get Paul's tutorial to work.

The problem was I needed to do the 'Finish and merge' and then 'edit individual documents' before I could see the desired results... the preview and flicking through each record function in the tool bar just gives one line/record at a time.

Yippeeee now I can tweak it a bit to make it do what I need and then sit back and watch all the letters be automagically created (instead of almost going blind trying to match up the multiple records into one document).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Ah, yes, 'Finish and merge'! I've encountered people doing only previews with Letter & Label merges before, and wondering why (a) they could only get one record at a time and (b) why they kept getting the SQL prompts and fields appearing in their saved documents. It hadn't occurred to me you were having the same issue.

FWIW, mailmerge previews are not a reliable indicator of the final output with any form of mailmerge except, perhaps, letter merges that use only the simplest of fields (i.e. no IF tests, conditional switches, etc).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I only discovered that the preview didn't work properly when I got frustrated with trying your tutorial and started to do just an ordinary one-to-one letter merge and found the results weren't quite right....maybe you should consider adding this to your tutorial...

Otherwise, I would have to say that I have gotten everything working really well now and thank you very much for all the detailed instructions. I am glad I persisted with it.

My only disappointment is that I have a table and the only way to produce a static header row and then the x number of repeated field rows is to have that one row of code between the header and the repeated rows. I have set the paragraph marker to 1 point font, but this still results in a gap which needs to be removed from every letter.

Can this be avoided?
    Last edited by JMontague; 2014-02-06 at 16:30.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you're merging to a table, the tutorial has a 'TableJoiner' macro for removing the resulting breaks.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    If you're merging to a table, the tutorial has a 'TableJoiner' macro for removing the resulting breaks.
    Oops, I needed to keep reading! A nifty little macro, thank you...

Thanks Paul for your patience.