New Lounger
    Thanks

Question "Why" Question on Office Autocorrect

"Why" isn't there an "OK, I accept this error you found. Now go away." option for autocorrect? I can't for the life of me understand what kind of user testing this went through that the lightning bolt hanging on the page didn't drive other users crazy too. Why the heck does a function built into Word, a default setting I think though I'm not 100% certain, trigger an autocorrect alert anyway?

I used the three dashes to create a line. Autocorrect proceeds to alert on it with the options of:
    Undo border line? (No, I just created it using a built in Word function.)
    Stop Automatically creating border lines. (Why would I want to stop doing what I just used to create what I wanted?)
    Control autocorrection options. (I don't see an option for telling autocorrect to accept a creating a line line using a Word function.)

Surely I'm not the only one who has wanted something like this? We have the option of accepting a supposed grammar error. For some, but not all, of the alerts it is possible to start a new paragraph and make the alert go away. But not for a line, it seems to be between paragraph/formatting . . . rant, rant, rant . . . I just needed someplace to get this off my chest and Windows Secrets is on my short list of sites with great people.

If someone has an answer, I'm really interested.

TIA

Ron

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At least one of us is blind to lightning bolts, or is too weary to notice. This is a delightful discovery, and something I confirmed at once upon reading your post. There is never a short list of things that drive us crazy in Office, but this is a good one. My only complaint is that now that you have drawn attention to it, it's going to start bugging me too.

Thanks
    But it disappears when you hit enter after some text, so it's not there for long. But I agree that they should have made it a bit more elegant.

However I noticed you can make two hyphens a long dash, but it doesn't seem to work for me...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Shiseiji (2014-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Go to Options | Proofing | Autocorrect Options. In the Autocorrect Options dialog box try typing something into the both sections of the "Replace with" section. The "Add" button should be enabled.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Dogberry, sorry . . .

Access-mdb, yes, I now have a deeper flat spot on my forehead for not trying that. I've often hit a [Return] and ctrl z to get rid of the darn thing in the past. Didn't think to give it a space first. For the two hyphens to a dash try looking in your [Autocorrect] and [Autoformat as you type] tab. Should be in the top Replace as you type section, right column, second item.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Go to Options | Proofing | Autocorrect Options. In the Autocorrect Options dialog box try typing something into the both sections of the "Replace with" section. The "Add" button should be enabled. Joe
    Joe, thanks, but no joy. Tried adding replace "ron" with "Ron" and still no [Add] button. "But" further experimentation shows that if you use the paragraph border tool and the [Insert Horizontal Line] (it's 4th to the last item on the menu) after inserting a horizontal line with three dashes, the lightening bolt disappears. As Access-mdb noted, typing text, or even a space, will make the lightening bolt disappear. The border tool line, at least in my US Government installation, is gray and renders a paragraph mark. The --- line is black without a paragraph mark. Adding another --- line will cause the lightening bolt to return.

Seems it is the Word "box in a box" paragraph formatting and putting anything in the box, even a space, gives Word a non-null area and makes it happy. Like inserting a paragraph with only a space above a style before moving text to get formatting kick started. I once spent over a day trying to remove a ghost section/paragraph before I found a posting on "As a last resort, remove the last paragraph mark." to reset all the sections. Then I had to cut out all the last section text to empty it so I could remove the last paragraph mark. And then create it again and paste the text back in. Too much fun.

Can I have my old UI back? Or at least in Outlook don't make me go through Open/Import to EXPORT a folder . . . who dreams this stuff up?

Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    What version of Office are you using?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    2010 on a US Government computer so registry change options are off the table.

Administrator
    Thanks
    For Exporting in Outlook, Go to File | Advanced | Export.

My best guess on the Autocorrect is that there is a Group Policy setting prohibiting changes. If that is the case, unless you can convince someone to change the policy you are out of luck.

Joe