5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

January updates: Something new, something old

PATCH WATCH

January updates: Something new, something old

By Susan Bradley

Good news! We're sliding into the new year with relatively few security updates and a possible fix for the Windows XP Svchost issue. Is the XP Svchost debacle finally fixed?

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/january-updates-something-new-something-old/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-01-15 at 17:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies for maybe being a littlebit off-topic here. I had to reinstall my Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and used the non-destructive (update) install with great success. Data, all my programs and settind kept alive. My question is about IE. The reinstall put back version 9 and my question to Susan is if it is without issues now to install version 10, or even version 11. Both are offered by Windows update. And if I go to version 11, is it advisable to first install version 10, install all security patches for it and then version 11, etc.?
    I appreciate your colums about (security) updates very much and I thank you for them.
    Pim (Netherlands)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer your question, at least for me, my XP VM updates went completely smoothly. Only two as I recall (manually installed the updates for the past two cycles). No SVCHost high cpu issues this type Susan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We recycle and refurbish about 15 computers per month, putting XP on most of them. We've experienced the high CPU usage issue for many many months, and updates take us 8-10 hours on a "new" machine. The problem suddenly disappeared on 1/15/14, and in fact updates are faster than they were before the problem started.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Among other things, "KB 2911106 – a rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Win8.1, and Server 2012 R2" provides a fix that supposedly allows Sony DSC cameras to upload/integrate properly with programs like Picassa, as they had before Win 8.1. With 8.1, user have had to switch the camera to PTP mode, thereby losing the ability to delete camera files from the program. I say supposedly only because I haven't checked it yet, although a poster on MS community reported good results.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-01-16 at 11:28.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “On Tuesday, Microsoft depreciated legacy security updates for Internet Explorer that had been replaced by more recent ones. We did this to improve customer experience, reducing the time Windows Update requires to check existing updates before installing new ones. This action was purely to improve update performance and does not affect customer security.” - Dustin Childs, group manager, Microsoft Trustworthy Computing

Got confirmation that the XP svchost issue has indeed been fixed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    re Svchost problem on XP: This issue has bugged me off and on for years. I have occasionally tried the solutions suggested here and elsewhere with no luck. The workaround which finally eased the frustration is this: Using system explorer (replacement for windows task manager) I right-click on svhost and reduce its priority to below normal. CPU usage immediately drops to negligable levels and I have not noticed any negative effects on the system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would to see a status added about Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 11.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did IE11 and IE10 a few weeks back.
    Try them out, put sites in compat mode and trusted sites. If you have issues with IE10 you'll have issues with IE11.
    If you have problems installing IE10, you'll have problems installing IE11.