Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Move XP data to Windows 7 custom install on the same computer

Since this is on the same computer, I do not see how an XP system image or a Easy Transfer cable will accomplish what we hope to do at the non-profit organization I volunteer at. The organiztion has decided to purchase Windows 7 upgrade from TechSoup. I haven't looked up what that means yet but my assistant tells me it will be an ISO install procedure

I suspect we will have to copy the XP data manually probably onto a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
    After doing the Windows Custom Install, then paste the data into approriate Libraries on the Windows 7 OS
    --- I understand the application software will need to be installed; for example, they have a volume license for Microsoft Office 2007 from TechSoup
    Are my suspicions correct?

Thanks
    The first thing I would do would be a complete backup of the computer onto an external hard drive. After doing the backup, make sure that you can mount the image as a drive, so as to be able to look at the contents of the image. You should see a duplicate in the image of everything that is on your hard drive. You should try to copy one or more items from the image to the computer's C: drive.

There are various backup programs that you can use for this. Two which are often mentioned here are Macrium and EaseUS Todo.

Now that you have a good image, and you have verified that you can mount the image as a drive and then copy stuff from the image to the hard drive, you are ready to proceed with the upgrade.

You stated that this will be an "ISO" install. An ISO file is simply an image of a DVD. In other words, you will use an ISO DVD creator program to create a usable DVD from the ISO file. (There is probably only one ISO file, and therefore only one DVD.) I've done it once in recent days; I don't recall which program I used to create the DVD from the ISO file. You will create the install DVD using this process, and then you will use the DVD that you created to do the upgrade to Windows 7.

You will now need to make a decision: do you want to do a clean install (wiping the drive first, and then installing Windows 7), or do you want to update what is already on the computer (Windows XP) to Windows 7?

Advantages of a clean install: Any problems with your current Windows install will disappear when you wipe the drive.
    Disadvantages of a clean install: You will need to reinstall EVERYTHING, and you will need to copy your data back onto the hard drive.

Advantages of updating Windows XP to Windows 7: It is quick and easy, and chances are, you won't have to reinstall anything, not even your data.
    Disadvantages of updating Windows XP to Windows 7: Whatever problems are in your current Windows install will continue into the update to Windows 7.

If things are working ok now with Windows XP, then you're probably fine simply updating Windows XP to Windows 7. If this is what you decide to do, simply insert the DVD and let the update proceed.

If you decide to do a clean install, insert the DVD, and then choose Custom Install. I would recommend that you have someone present who has done this before, to assist you with the process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can use easy transfer by letting it place the data in a USB disk or flash drive. You will be offered the option to do so:

winxpto7easytransfer.png

Get Windows Easy Transfer from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-easy-transfer
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Advantages of updating Windows XP to Windows 7: It is quick and easy, and chances are, you won't have to reinstall anything, not even your data.
    Disadvantages of updating Windows XP to Windows 7: Whatever problems are in your current Windows install will continue into the update to Windows 7.
    There is no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. It will have to be a clean install. Having a mountable image of the XP installation will be advantageous. Windows Easy Transfer is pretty good, but it can miss some things.

All programs/applications will have to be installed once Windows 7 has been installed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-16),mrjimphelps (2014-01-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow. Those explanations are excellent. I get the picture although I'll have to learn how to understand mounting the XP image. I don't have someone who has done this before but I do have an extra XP computer available to experiment with. I'm glad I'll be able to use Windows Easy Transfer. I have seen comments how Windows Easy Transfer does miss some things sometimes, but I'm optimistic on using it especially if they have program discs for each of their applications; I know they have the Microsoft Office 2007 disc but if they don't have the disc(s) for other programs, well they'll have to buy the modern version. I don't volunteer full time on taking care of their computers, but I've been able to take care of their maintenance and security needs and I'm counting on getting them through this project

Thanks
    I've had good luck with Windows Easy Transfer. it's not perfect but it does transfer the bulk of your user dat to the appropriate Windows 7 folders including Email and browser shortcuts.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Wow. Those explanations are excellent. I get the picture although I'll have to learn how to understand mounting the XP image. I don't have someone who has done this before but I do have an extra XP computer available to experiment with. I'm glad I'll be able to use Windows Easy Transfer. I have seen comments how Windows Easy Transfer does miss some things sometimes, but I'm optimistic on using it especially if they have program discs for each of their applications; I know they have the Microsoft Office 2007 disc but if they don't have the disc(s) for other programs, well they'll have to buy the modern version. I don't volunteer full time on taking care of their computers, but I've been able to take care of their maintenance and security needs and I'm counting on getting them through this project
    Please be aware that only documents and settings will be copied by Windows Easy Transfer. You will need the CDs / DVDs to install the programs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Computer info:
    Lan Plus KM266-8235 Desktop 1.67 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 521 MB RAM XP SP3 40 GB hard drive
    --- It’s an older computer from a business and I want to experiment on for upgrading from XP to Windows 7
    --- It doesn’t have any system discs and I don’t see a recovery partition
    I have an XP Pro install disc but I can’t use it yet because I get en error message “Set up cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD”
    --- So now I wish to wipe the hard drive clean so I get the experience on how to do so and do the fresh XP install.

I’ve looked around on the internet on how to wipe a hard drive clean but I don’t want a paid program. I see some that have a free download but to me that means I’ll have to pay if I actually want to use.
    --- Is there a free program that I can use to wipe the hard drive clean so I can install the fresh XP Pro?

After that I want to experiment on creating a volume I can mount as described on previous posts
    --- Most likely I won’t end up installing Windows 7 since Windows Upgrade Advisor recommends getting the RAM up to at least 1 GB but if I don't want to invest any money into this computer; and then updating Realtek RT8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC is recommended
    But my main intent is to experiment on it as far as I can get as if I were actually installing Windows 7

Now if it's recommended it isn't worth experimenting on this computer for creating and mounting a volume that's ok I'll just settle for wiping the hard drive clean and doing the fresh XP Pro install

Thanks
    I have an XP Pro install disc but I can’t use it yet because I get en error message “Set up cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD”
    --- So now I wish to wipe the hard drive clean so I get the experience on how to do so and do the fresh XP install.
    When you boot the XP installation disc, don't try to install. Get into the repair options, and open a command prompt. This will create a RAM disk. From there, you can format the hard drive, then reboot and run the XP installation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Does that KM266 have a VIA 4 in 1 chipset? If so, the Vista equivalent VIA 4 in 1 will work with W7, otherwise you might be out of luck. Also, I believe (my experiments are a faded memory now) W7 will refuse to install with only 512 MB of RAM. It will definitely run (very slowly) on 512 but seems I had no luck installing on 512.

Also, do not trust any so-called "drivers" site that purports the existence and availability of W7 chipset drivers. W7 either has them or if it's a VIA system...I've installed W7 on a computer manufactured in 1998 using the VIA 4 in 1 chipset for Vista...
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I wipe the hard drive clean with format c: at the command prompt?

The fresh XP Pro install disk I have doesn't work because of the setup can't continue message and there isn't a repair option
    --- It isn't the install disk that came with the computer

The previous owner found the Recovery XP disk that came with the computer but that doesn't work either even after I set the BIOS to boot from CD

Then I found DBAN in one of my searches but it only downloaded to me desktop
    --- It didn't burn to my DVD-R
    --- The computer has Ahead Nero Burning ROM software and I though that would burn the DBAN iso file to disk but it doesn't

So if format c: works, is there a reasonable chance the fresh XP Pro install disk should work then?
    --- On the fresh XP Pro install disk, the organization I volunteer at had 12 copies once and I've done fresh installs on 3 other computers without any problems
    --- If the Recovery XP disk that came with the computer would work that's ok with me but I don't see a setup file in it so that's an issue with me.

Even though I wanted the experience of wiping a hard drive clean, if none of the above work, I'll just manually clean out as much as I can that's on the computer and experiment another time on another computer

In the end whether or not I'll be able to experiment with it, the computer will be donated to one of our volunteers as she wants her daughter to use it for school work

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I blasted everything with a generic image I would just boot to GParted and quick format the drive...DBAN is overkill but will work too; get a copy of ImgBurn and use that to burn images to disc; it has a dedicated button in it's interface just for burning images to disc. If you decide on GParted, download a copy of Parted Magic iso that contains GParted and a ton of other useful tools and use that.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Can I wipe the hard drive clean with format c: at the command prompt?
    Yes, you can (technically, it's not a command prompt, it's the setup routine using windows cmd tools). While the format command doesn't actually zero-out the hard drive, it does remove all partitioning, MBR and MFT data and reformats the drive. Instructions are here.

Scroll down to "How to partition and format the hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program" and follow that instruction set; don't use the "Quick" format. You might want to print the page so you can have the information handy, or have it open in a browser on another computer.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-01-17 at 14:18.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ImgBurn. Well I did install it from http://imgburn.com/ but it was a "miserable" install. I lost track of how many additional programs were installed in the process and I couldn't stop them. A couple of them had the option to uncheck them, but that didn't matter; a few others didn't have an option to uncheck them, they just welcomed themselves along for the ride.
    Anyway I "tossed" the computer aside as I don't want to get into the uninstallation business and trying to get around the "Setup can't continue ..." issue is wasting my time. I'm going to get a better experimental PC and move on from there. Thanks everyone for your excellent advice & recommendations as I'll be able to use them

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry you had such a bad experience, I haven't encountered any software that didn't have opt out for every extra (or warn that it came with something like Candy ahead of time) but they have gotten increasingly devious as to exactly where the opt outs are.

I just uninstalled my version and downloaded the latest from the MajorGeeks mirror...there is one custom install selection to uncheck one extra and then one more custom install selection to uncheck the second extra.

If you have a restore point you can shed those extras in just a couple of minutes and either forget about the bad company practice or give it another go.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-18)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast