New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Attachments in e-mails?

I am not able to open attachments to emails such as MS Word, Excel or PDF files. This I believe started to be the case in or about Sept 2013. Prior to that time, these type files could be opened by simply clicking on the applicable attachment Icon in the e-mail. Firefox 26 is the current browser I am using with ATT Net Mail. My operating system is windows 7. Using Windows XP and an earlier version of Firefox on another computer, I can open these files by clicking on their icons in the associated e-mail. Also, I can open these files from e-mails using my iPad. Has anyone else experienced this problem, am I missing something or a wrong setting? Could an update of either Windows 7 or Firefox be the cause?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you right click on the attachment and save it to your hard disk? If so, that is the proper procedure, one should never [ever] open any attachment directly from email; in fact it's most likely a security update that now prevents those from opening (if indeed you can save them to a folder on your hard drive).
    Once saved to a folder, you should have a context menu antivirus (right click on file--still do not open) setting so you can spot scan that file (both MSE and Malwarebytes have that feature). IF and only IF that scan comes back clean do you open the file in it's associated program.

The same procedure should be followed for XP even though the settings there allow direct opening.

Thanks
    I agree with this one with the following exception..

I have purposely saved attachments I knew contained a virus and did the right click scan thing only to have it scan clean and safe only because the virus program signature hadn't been available for it.

Sometimes I have waited two or three days before the scan would show it being infected...

This was done with MSE and also AVG..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am not able to save the attachment to my hard drive with windows 7 using your suggested procedure. No provisions are provided in the right click menu. Any other Ideas?

Thanks,
    Howard McKinney

Thanks
    Almost all Virus programs let you right click on a file and there should be an option SCAN WITH (Your Virus Program)
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Might be a setting in your email client. In WLM its under safety options>security in my version (2009). I wish the setting was divided into not allowing opening in email whilst still allowing saving to the hard drive outside of the email so it can be scanned but it isn't. Maybe in later versions it is. I never forget but other family members on my open network do forget and open it directly.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe