New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Virtual Machine for Windows 8.1

I need to run IE8 on my Windows 8.1 machine in order to access a very restrictive web application - it may even require that I run XP. It looks as though installing XP in a virtual machine is the best option for me. I need to be able to copy data from IE in the VM out to excel in W8.1.

• What's easiest virtual machine to use? Hopefully free. I'd love to use Hyper-V for this, but am completely unfamiliar
    • Can I get a virtual machine already set up to do what I want? I do have old XP keys I should be able to use.
    • If so, where do I get it and how do I install it.

Any suggestions on how to address this issue will be most welcome, particularly pointers to articles showing "how to" steps.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    VirtualBox, should be some good documentation on their site as well. Basically you do everything you would for a system install except the virtual machine translation software (VirtualBox and extension packs) replaces the drivers one would otherwise install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend you VM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qstar View Post
    I recommend you VM.
    That was the request. What's the recommendation?

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks