New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy/Paste path makes link inactive

We are running Office 2010 and Windows 7 Enterprise. The issue I'm having occurs when I copy a doc path off the server and paste it to either outlook or word. The hyperlink stops at the first space in the path name. In this example, when I past the link to outlook, it is inactive after Groups\Medical

\\...\Groups\Groups\Medical Writing\BMS (SASS)\AI467-008.482432401.Ph1\CSR.AI467-008\2-Delivered for Internal Review\2-Draft 1 CSR

I understand the fixes of putting "_" or "%20" in those spaces, but that's too much work for all of the files/folders on the company server.

Is there a way to keep the link active?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks
    The easiest way to do it is to have your document open in one window, and File Explorer open in another window.

Locate the folder that you want to link to. Using your right mouse button, drag the folder to the document. Choose "Create hyperlink here".

That's how you do it in Word 2007. I'm sure it's very similar, if not identical, in Word 2010.

I'm assuming you want to do this in Word. I'm not sure how to do it in Excel. PowerPoint probably works like Word.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

the_couchguards (2014-01-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's what I was looking for. Thank you!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The other way to add links to 'Office' or Windows' folders and file names is to start the link with << and end it with >>. That will allow the link to contain spaces.

Over the years, with many frustrations and mistakes, I've found that the best practice is not to use spaces in folders or file names if you can help it. It not only causes link problems like the one you mentioned, but all kinds of other issues when embedded in databases or programming languages. You can use a capital letter for each new word in the file/folder description like this: ExampleOfUsingCapitalsForEachWord; or by using an underscore between each word like this: Using_Underscore_Between_Each_Word.

Just a suggestion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DianeHolliday For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-01-24)