New Lounger
    Thanks

Does upgrade to Win 8.1 require reinstall of applications which did not come from the Windows Store?

I'm still using Windows 8. I have not accepted the offered update to 8.1 because I think I remember that it was said that any desktop apps which did not come from the windows store would have to be reinstalled from the original media. I've seen conflicting and confusing info regarding the need to reinstall such apps recently. Can someone give me the facts on this? Thanks.

Thanks
    This was only true if you had installed the Windows 8.1 beta. The upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 preserves all your desktop and Modern apps. No need to reinstall.
    It would still be a good idea to create an image backup prior to the upgrade just to be sure something unforeseen doesn't occur as in any major upgrade.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    This was only true if you had installed the Windows 8.1 beta. The upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 preserves all your desktop and Modern apps. No need to reinstall.
    It would still be a good idea to create an image backup prior to the upgrade just to be sure something unforeseen doesn't occur as in any major upgrade.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry. Thanks for the prompt reply, I take that as good news. Can you elaborate or clarify why you said "desktop and Modern apps". I don't want to get messed up on semantics. I'm currently running some old programs on Win8 that certainly aren't Modern, and I'm not sure I can even find the original media. Any reason to be concerned about those coming over, except for the standard concern about a random, unforeseen event?

Larry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Modern here meant windows store apps. But your question was about desktop apps.

You can check some or all of your programs for 8.1 at Windows Compatibility Center.

Bruce

Thanks
    Modern apps are the ones that use the new Modern UI (formerly called Metro) that you get from the Windows Store. If the old programs you are referring to run on Windows 8, they will be carried over to Windows 8.1 and should still work but there are no guarantees which is why you should make an image backup before proceeding. Once you upgrade to 8.1, you can't go back to Windows 8 without reinstalling your desktop apps unless you have an image backup.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, you make it sound like my old programs (which may have originally been Win95 or 98 programs) that I'm currently using on Win 8 should still be there after an upgrade to Win 8.1. Making an image is beyond my system capability. I don't have an external hard drive. I may just take the risk if I decide the improvements in Win 8.1 are worth it. Thanks for your help.

Larry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shelquis View Post
    OK, you make it sound like my old programs (which may have originally been Win95 or 98 programs) that I'm currently using on Win 8 should still be there after an upgrade to Win 8.1. Making an image is beyond my system capability. I don't have an external hard drive. I may just take the risk if I decide the improvements in Win 8.1 are worth it*. Thanks for your help.

Larry
    Larry,

* Yes, it is worth it. And migrating to 8.1, there's not much to it. You don't lose anything and there's very little to do after it is finished, besides customizing and maybe re-introducing your printer to the machine. Nothing much changes except some added functionality & options and a bunch of improved or enhanced technology and nice changes to Search. Stuff that's ok on Win8 is, still, ok on 8.1

Take the Upgrade.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 8.1

Thanks
    No, you will NOT have to reinstall your desktop applications.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.