Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Disappearing icons in SysTray

First of all, following is my general system information:

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 -- If it makes a difference with anything, the contents of the HS was born in Vista Home Premium, then upgraded to Windows 7, and subsequently SP1. A year or so ago, the entire HD contents were moved to the current PC when Dell gave up on getting the previous PC to work right.
    Dell XPS PC with 1 TB of hard drive, 16 GB of RAM, and a very fast Intel dual processor.

All that said, my problem is that icons "disappear" from my SysTray, or the "notification area" in the lower right corner near the clock. This, despite the fact I have the "Behaviors" set to "Show only notifications." It is my understanding this means the icon should remain visible in the small window that pops up, but they do not all do that.

Over time, most of them will start to disappear, even though they are set to remain visible, and I cannot figure out why or what I can do about it. Sometimes, rebooting the PC will cause them to set up again (though not very often), but they always disappear again. FWIW, I have a small number of them set to "Show icon and notification" and those correctly remain visible at all times next to the clock on the Taskbar, so it appears to this non-technical user to be some sort of issue with the "Show only notifications" setting itself, because this phenomena only seems to happen when that option is enabled.

Admittedly, this is not a huge issue but it has gotten very frustrating to me because I cannot figure out what has caused the issue or what to do about it. Also, the things I have selected to display in the SysTray are things I use the most, and they cannot be used if they keep disappearing on me. :-( To the best of my memory, I first recall noticing the problem perhaps six or so months ago and prior to then I honestly don't remember it happening. If anyone has any solutions or suggestions, I would be very grateful hearing from you.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Perhaps something has changed since this article was written, but if you have the icons set to "show only notification", then the icons only appear when there is an alert. http://windowssecrets.com/best-pract...proliferation/ The icons appear at all times if you set them to "show icon and notifications".

Pam

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that Bruce, but as I noted in my query my icons do not always appear even then and often disappear later if they do. :-(

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will take a look at this and see what I can learn, but I seem to recall seeing it in the recent past right here on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS View Post
    Perhaps something has changed since this article was written, but if you have the icons set to "show only notification", then the icons only appear when there is an alert. http://windowssecrets.com/best-pract...proliferation/ The icons appear at all times if you set them to "show icon and notifications".

Pam

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I understand that Bruce, but as I noted in my query my icons do not always appear even then and often disappear later if they do. :-(
    That was a link. Have you tried that Fixit?

Quote Originally Posted by PamS View Post
    Perhaps something has changed since this article was written, but if you have the icons set to "show only notification", then the icons only appear when there is an alert. http://windowssecrets.com/best-pract...proliferation/
    "... should remain visible in the small window that pops up," in Post 1 refers to Figure 1 in that article (called "the icon-overflow bin" there).

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, I've not checked "that Fixit" yet, I was looking at PamS's suggestion, but that doesn't work. My icons spontaneously disappear though, and do not follow my settings in "Customize" either, so even setting the "Behavior" options they not only do not follow the behavior set but also spontaneously change themselves. Very frustrating. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    That was a link. Have you tried that Fixit?

"... should remain visible in the small window that pops up," in Post 1 refers to Figure 1 in that article (called "the icon-overflow bin" there).

Bruce

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay Bruce, I've just tried this and it made no difference whatsoever. I still have icons that do not appear (even when rebooting), so I am still puzzled and even more frustrated. :-(

David E. Cann

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce and 3-Star:

Funny thing is that I just ran into the same problem on a fresh install of Win7-32-bit-Sp1 (ISO from TechNet) upgrading my last remaining XP box. The FixIt worked, temporarily, but reverted back to greyed out icon enabling the missing system tray icons. I found a separate article on fixing the Group Policy (http://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/Ho...-Window-7.aspx) to disable hiding the tray icons (talk about backwards reasoning...!), and that seemed to help. So, I manually ran thru the same steps outlined in the fixit article and the other article SEVERAL TIMES, and saved the registry branch when it worked, but it still is randomly losing the fix. As of this morning, it seems okay, but I'm not confident that its permanently solved on this one. What is strange is that I recently experimented with a Virtual Box install of the same thing and never had a problem. I sure would like to know what is re-setting the thing to broken, so I can turn it off. Good luck, 3-Star on a better fix for you.
    Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I've received 2 or 3 varying suggestions, plus the Fixit from MS, but I have no clue what to do about it. I was even told by one that it's supposed to work that way, but if so then why have the icons been staying in place for the last few years until just a few months ago? :-(

Thanks again for responding.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbsteinbach View Post
    Hi Bruce and 3-Star:

Funny thing is that I just ran into the same problem on a fresh install of Win7-32-bit-Sp1 (ISO from TechNet) upgrading my last remaining XP box. The FixIt worked, temporarily, but reverted back to greyed out icon enabling the missing system tray icons. I found a separate article on fixing the Group Policy (http://www.conetrix.com/Blog/post/Ho...-Window-7.aspx) to disable hiding the tray icons (talk about backwards reasoning...!), and that seemed to help. So, I manually ran thru the same steps outlined in the fixit article and the other article SEVERAL TIMES, and saved the registry branch when it worked, but it still is randomly losing the fix. As of this morning, it seems okay, but I'm not confident that its permanently solved on this one. What is strange is that I recently experimented with a Virtual Box install of the same thing and never had a problem. I sure would like to know what is re-setting the thing to broken, so I can turn it off. Good luck, 3-Star on a better fix for you.
    Rob

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article will help in navigating to the Icon and Pastlcon Streams referenced in that article http://en.kioskea.net/faq/27246-wind...tem-tray-icons

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The steps cannot be followed. Is this information for Windows 7 as I noted, or for Windows 8 as is mentioned at the top of the information? I went to Start> as directed, but there is no Run option from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    This article will help in navigating to the Icon and Pastlcon Streams referenced in that article http://en.kioskea.net/faq/27246-wind...tem-tray-icons

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't see where it says for Win 8 in my link but pressing the Windows key+R keys together will bring up the Run box or you could just type run then press Enter after Start, but in Win 7 from Start, just type regedit in the Search box then press Enter and accept the UAC.

I think the Run box use is more for XP and as this is described as a fix for Windows, you would normally see that step included.

Hope this clarifies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

I am grateful to you for trying, but I give up. Following are the 9 steps your link directed me to do, the please continue reading for my explanatory comments:

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
    2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
    3. Navigate to the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify.
    4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
    5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
    6. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
    7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
    8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
    9. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.

I followed every step to the letter, despite the fact it made me very uncomfortable tampering with the registry. I had a very bad experience some years ago doing that and following similarly vague (and wrong, as it turned out) directions and I wound up having to hire a professional to partially fix the registry.

In a few words, I finally nervously made it through line items 1 through 8, but I call your attention to the latter half of #8 which reads ". . . .and the missing icons should be back in the system-tray where they belong." SHOULD be? What if they are not, because in my case they definitely were not and still aren't now after I've restored my system using System Restore.

Now then, let's talk about line item 9, which reads in part "Then if the volume bar isn't there, . . ." Isn't WHERE?. I never have and still do not see anything resembling a "volume bar," whether it is labeled or not, so for that reason I did not do step 9. At that point, in my frustration (and now anger) I checked my icons in the SysTray and found less than half of them than I had before I did steps #1-#8 and had to skip #9 for reasons mentioned above.

I then reverted back to the restore point mentioned in line 1, and that is where I am now. . . .with fewer icons than I had before I followed the directions above. :-([/QUOTE]
    Last edited by decann; 2014-01-19 at 14:40.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Volume bar is what you get when you click on the Speaker icon when it is displayed but I couldn't find any box to check for it in Properties, so didn't understand what it meant by that either.

Other than step #9, that article is the same as the one linked by BruceR, but BruceR's link goes onto to say that if they still don't display, then contact MS but re-reading your opening post, an icon such as for the Action Center will display on boot but will fade if nothing is amiss and any other icon that is set to just Only show Notifications will either not display or fade after boot, although some programs will place a small icon to the right when active such as Win Patrol or SuperAntiSpyware which are two that I know of.

The only other ones that will remain are those set to Show icon and notifications, so unless I'm missing something in your opening post, then I'd say that you had them set to default settings and are displaying as they should.

To test this, change the Only show notifications to Show icon and notifications on the ones that you think should be there all of the time and if they still disappear, then you do have a problem.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-19 at 19:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast