Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stopping fraudulent wireless access to my computer

Hi,
    I know someone is using wireless system to access my desktop computer.
    That someone used before a program named ''go to assist'' with my knowledge until the day I put a block that someone entering my desktop.Since, I strongly suspect that these intrusions are continuing using another method, which I believe could be using my phone line and my modem. Would anyone here have any suggestions as to how I could prevent such fraudulent invasions to occur?
    Thank you in advance.
    Jean-Pierre
    Last edited by jeanpierre; 2014-01-16 at 14:44.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Either you are being paranoid or someone has come up with a new method of access using the old fashioned way.
    How do you know someone is accessing your computer?
    Do you have anti virus software installed and up to date?
    Have you checked for unwanted programs in Add/Remove programs?
    Do you leave your computer on all the time? You could turn it off until you want to use it.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul for addressing my problem. I have seen someone copying files from my computer, noticing the files being copied.
    I immediately shut the computer down to stop this happening. I also have noticed some programs having been deleted from my computer.I use AVG antivirus and it is update regularly. I also use ''maleware bytes'' that also find some unwanted files mostly .pub.
    I regularly use Revo uninstaller to remove unwanted programs. When not in use, at the end of the day, I switch the modem off and the computer in a sleep mode. Is there anything else I could do; or you maybe right about paranoia but I know what I saw.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you know files are being copied? Windows doesn't tell you unless you are using Explorer.

Turning the modem off will definitely prevent access via the modem. Putting the computer in sleep mode won't prevent someone sending a wake up packet via the modem or network.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    One way to solve it would be to install a 3rd party firewall, disabling access to any but selected computers. It may require some effort, though, to properly manage the firewall.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for that. But if I switch the modem off, he couldn't get in when in sleep mode, would he?
    Best,
    Jean-Pierre

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help Rui, but I am not too good when it comes to mingle into those programs. I think I will leave them alone.
    Best,
    Jean-Pierre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
    Thank you for your help Rui, but I am not too good when it comes to mingle into those programs. I think I will leave them alone.
    Best,
    Jean-Pierre
    Yes, I understand. Other than this, it may be hard to do anything, except to configure the services that the person in question may be using, but you don't know what is being used, anyway.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui,
    You are right'; what I do know it that I SAW files being copied/transferred out of my computer. I have my suspicion but it is hard to indeed prove and confront the invader.
    Thanks for your help
    Best,
    Jean-Pierre.-

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you still have remote access programs that can be used for this? What is your network configuration? Do you have a router?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JP, hello.
    Going to your AP, you can "allow" just the computors that you want to access your data. You seem to indicate that this could be beyond your capabilities ??? Ask a friend to set up MAC access restrictions to your AP. I do it. Jean.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I am far to be an expert, I am not sure I understand your acronyms like MAC and AP. I am quite happy to try what you suggested yet I will have to know what you mean. Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JP, hello.
    What I suggested implies working in the "software" of your wireless router. Tell me which one you use and I might be able to help you. I am familiar with the D-Link and the TP-Link. Shove comes to push, we might find a user manual for yours and after a little studying set up the above mentioned permission.
    The AP acronym if for that router, ie: Access Point, I think. The MAC address is a series of binary values like 00-15-59-EI-98-P6 that identifies your AP as a connected device. This is going to be an education for you but fear not, I had to go through this too as others here, of course. Knowing that MAC address, you can "allow" it to connect and no other. Problem of being spied gone !

Google is your friend, get into the habit of using it, in this case, just type MAC address into the address line at the top of your browser and you will get all kinds of explanations. This is what I find :

A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet. Logically, MAC addresses are used in the media access control protocol sublayer of the OSI reference model.

Do not use just MAC, you will get information this junk, the apple. Use : "MAC address" and you will get what I quoted here. Have fun. Where is Kingscliff ? Jean.

NB: I think that Kingscliff is in NSW if I remember well.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-01-16 at 21:12. Reason: typo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this big amount of information. Unfortunately, I am unable to follow your instructions. All I can say is the name of the modem supplied by my ISP - Westnet: a Bob2. Kingscliff is indeed in NSW. Where are you from? If it is Montréal as your name indicated, I have lived there for over five years while going at McGill Uni a very long time ago. (1957).
    Thank you for your help.
    Jean-Pierre

Thanks
    Don't worry about it. MAC address filtering doesn't add much security to your network anyway.
    From: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six...ireless-lan/43

MAC filtering: This is like handing a security guard a pad of paper with a list of names. Then when someone comes up to the door and wants entry, the security guard looks at the person's name tag and compares it to his list of names and determines whether to open the door or not. Do you see a problem here? All someone needs to do is watch an authorized person go in and forge a name tag with that person's name. The comparison to a wireless LAN here is that the name tag is the MAC address. The MAC address is just a 12 digit long HEX number that can be viewed in clear text with a sniffer. A sniffer to a hacker is like a hammer to a carpenter except the sniffer is free. Once the MAC address is seen in the clear, it takes about 10 seconds to cut-paste a legitimate MAC address in to the wireless Ethernet adapter settings and the whole scheme is defeated. MAC filtering is absolutely worthless since it is one of the easiest schemes to attack. The shocking thing is that so many large organizations still waste the time to implement these things. The bottom line is, MAC filtering takes the most effort to manage with zero ROI (return on investment) in terms of security gain.

Jerry

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2014-01-17),JimRoberts (2014-04-09)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast