Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Don't set PC on carpet

It has occurred to me that maybe I should mention this...

Electronics and specifically, PCs do not like static electricity. W/out explaining the science or physics of it here is my point... Often I have gone to clients' homes or offices and discover PCs sitting on carpets. Remember, if you rub a balloon on a carpet it will then stick to a wall? That's static electricity @ work. DO NOT sit PCs directly on carpets. IF, the machine is going to be placed on a carpeted floor put something under it to isolate it from the carpet; a wooden board, newspaper, cardboard, you get the idea.

And another thing, while I'm @ it... do not remove or replace PC case covers, side panels and such whilst a PC is running. Always do this ONLY after & while the machine is unpowered or shut off.

Cheers,
    Drew

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

lien (2014-02-08),PamS (2014-01-16)

Thanks
    I recently got a new Win7 machine and needed to place my WinXP machine on the floor under my desk so I could still have access to it for awhile. As soon as I sat it on the carpet, alarms went off in my head and I went and got several sections of newspaper and placed them under the tower. Thanks for the reminder on this!

Pam

Thanks
    Thank heaven that the PC metal cases are earthed via the mains plug (in the UK, at least)!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Even the plastic ones have a metal shield internally. Seems the manufacturers thought about the static issue during the design phase.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm reminded every time I pet Friskers (name changed to protect his identity) this time of year; three or four nice jolts between he and I on the first couple of strokes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Another good idea: DON'T BLOCK THE VENTILATION HOLES ON THE SIDE OF THE COMPUTER! I have seen lots of computers (in offices, not in homes) which are turned on their sides, and the vent holes are on the bottom! Or, they will put paper, etc., next to the computer, blocking the vent holes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm skeptical that a desktop sitting on carpet generates static electricity as the desktop doesn't rub the carpet, unlike the balloon example. Comments from anyone who knows their physics?

Sitting a laptop on a carpet is a good way to fry it as the air intake vents will be blocked. It really happens, I destroyed my first computer this way. :/

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    BBS, you are correct, no static issues from the PC, but you walking up to it and pressing the power button is likely to result in a zap or two. That's why the cases are earthed.

In Oz using your computer at home on a 40 degree day is likely to kill it, especially if the vents are blocked.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Another good idea: DON'T BLOCK THE VENTILATION HOLES ON THE SIDE OF THE COMPUTER! I have seen lots of computers (in offices, not in homes) which are turned on their sides, and the vent holes are on the bottom! Or, they will put paper, etc., next to the computer, blocking the vent holes.
    Oh my, you are a brave soul venturing to discuss common sense. Geeesh, do you know how UNcommon that stuff is?!! I, actually, considered mentioning about unblocked airflow around AND through the case. Guess it was necessary for someone to raise the issue. Maybe there really are people who think the perforations or other openings in the case are just for looks rather than any practical reason. So good it is now mentioned.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    One problem re computers on carpets is that fluff and dust are more likely to clog vents. I had experience of this at my work where the receptionists had a desktop on the floor. I told them to get it looked at by the SSM people, and they said it was absolutely packed with dust etc and was close to overheating and failing. It was moved after that!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Thank heaven that the PC metal cases are earthed via the mains plug (in the UK, at least)!
    Yes they ARE! here too. That's pretty much Universal.

The problem at floor level is not so much static electricity as DIRT.

The two things that kill most computers is HEAT and DIRT!
    Keep'em cool and clean and most will run forever.

Even in houses that look like something out of Home Beautiful magazine, I've found PC's loaded up with dirt, and failing because of it.

Example:

There is also the problem of the dog using the PC as a Fireplug.

They are called Desktop PC's for a good reason.....because that's where they were designed to be used....
    on a desktop, not on the floor! PC's do not have air filters on them.....they suck up everything in their immediate vicinity (like a vacuum cleaner) and if that vicinity is a dirty floor,,,,,,, guess what,,,,,,that dirt goes right into the PC. (just like in the picture above. Yes, that PC was on the floor, till it totally failed)

Even putting a PC on a low stool, box or stand is better than directly on the floor. 18" is usually enough height to keep it out of the Dirt Zone.

It's always grieved me, to have to tell a customer "I'm sorry, but your PC has died due to overheating, because it's packed with DIRT".

Cheer mates..... keep'em COOL and keep'em CLEAN and they will last a long time.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    That's a first....ROFLMAO!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to think about the term "fireplug" - not being a native of the USA. Lamp post would be the equivalent in my neck of the woods.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re good desktop positioning issues, having it not backed too far into the rear wall is also important, or the efficiency of the rear exhaust fans will be compromised. And I've noticed the exhaust fans cover anything near to them with dust after a time too, I really should vacuum and dust more often, typical bachelor I suppose.

40+ (Celsius, = 104F) degree days are a challenge, with my airconditioner broken during the recent 41-44 degrees heatwave I had to run my oldest and worst behaved desktop with a case side off, though I've already installed four extra fans (admittedly two are tiny ones stuffed in the otherwise unused floppy bay), and even then I got a number of crashes with random bluescreen messages. It has been at its worst in peak summer for a few years. I think because the capacitors are aged it's less tolerant to heat. Anyway I won't procrastinate getting the air conditioner fixed another year!
    Last edited by bigbadsteve; 2014-01-23 at 11:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Yes they ARE! here too. That's pretty much Universal.

The problem at floor level is not so much static electricity as DIRT.

The two things that kill most computers is HEAT and DIRT!
    Keep'em cool and clean and most will run forever.

Even in houses that look like something out of Home Beautiful magazine, I've found PC's loaded up with dirt, and failing because of it.

Example:

They are called Desktop PC's for a good reason.....because that's where they were designed to be used....
    on a desktop, not on the floor! PC's do not have air filters on them.....they suck up everything in their immediate vicinity (like a vacuum cleaner) and if that vicinity is a dirty floor,,,,,,, guess what,,,,,,that dirt goes right into the PC. (just like in the picture above. Yes, that PC was on the floor, till it totally failed)

Even putting a PC on a low stool, box or stand is better than directly on the floor. 18" is usually enough height to keep it out of the Dirt Zone.

It's always grieved me, to have to tell a customer "I'm sorry, but your PC has died due to overheating, because it's packed with DIRT".

Cheer mates..... keep'em COOL and keep'em CLEAN and they will last a long time.

The Doctor
    Cat hair is real good at clogging up the vents too.

I question putting newspaper under a Desktop PC on carpet though, I would much prefer a piece of timber or a large ceramic tile.
    Some cases have vents and filter screens on the bottom too, I know mine does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast