5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using ActiveDocument.PrintOut

I'm using ActiveDocument.Printout in Word 2010. My code determines which pages in the document have revisions, and I print only those pages to the Adobe PDF printer. This functions just as I want it to, but the Pages option seems to have a limit. I'm guessing that it's the length of the variant: p1s1,p5s1,p3s2 etc. to indicate the pages/section to be printed. I am able to print about 30 pages, but if I eliminate the section number (if it's a one-section document), I can nearly double the number of pages by using 1,5,7,12, etc.. Therefore, my guess is that the variant for Pages has a limit of about 256 characters. I can't find any documentation the refers directly to the variant length. Does any know, or know where to find, what this limit actually is? Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    RIchard,

According to: O'Reilly's "VB & VBA in a Nutshell" by Paul Lomax:
    Variant (String) 22 bytes + length of string, Range same as variable length string.

String (variable length) Range 0-2 Billion characters! (seems like a little more than 256 chars!)
    "VBA for Dummies" by Steve Cummings agrees with the above.

According to: Que's "Special Edition Using Excel Visual Basic" by Jeff Walsh:
    String Range 0-65536
    Variant Range any number up to double or any string.

According to OZGrid.
    Variant data type
    Variant data type A special data type that can contain numeric, string, or date data as well as the special values Empty and Null. The Variant data type has a numeric storage size of 16 bytes and can contain data up to the range of a Decimal, or a character storage size of 22 bytes (plus string length), and can store any character text. The VarType function defines how the data in a Variant is treated. All variables become Variant data types if not explicitly declared as some other data type.
    String data type
    A data type consisting of a sequence of contiguous characters that represent the characters themselves rather than their numeric values. A String can include letters, numbers, spaces, and punctuation. The String data type can store fixed-length strings ranging in length from 0 to approximately 63K characters and dynamic strings ranging in length from 0 to approximately 2 billion characters. The dollar sign ($) type-declaration character represents a String in Visual Basic.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-01-16 at 20:00.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I'm asking about the maximum length of the Pages parameter of the Printout method of ActiveDocument. In the code below, ***** indicates where this variant would appear. The PrintOut method fails (without an error) if the variant is too long, and I'm wondering if there's a documented maximum length for the Pages parameter.

Code:
    ActivePrinter = "Adobe PDF"

Application.PrintOut FileName:="", Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages, Item:= _
            wdPrintDocumentWithMarkup, Copies:=1, Pages:=******, _
            PageType:=wdPrintAllPages, Collate:=True, Background:=True, PrintToFile:= _
            False, PrintZoomColumn:=0, PrintZoomRow:=0, PrintZoomPaperWidth:=0, _
            PrintZoomPaperHeight:=0

Thanks
    Richard,

The MSDN documentation (all I think you're going to find) only specifies Variant so I would assume there is no additional documented limit. Of course YMDV!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs