Thread: Aligning SSD

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aligning SSD

I decided to replace the old slow 5400 RPM hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite laptop with a new Kingston 256 GB SSD. I cloned the old drive to the new SSD drive and all went well. Windows 8.1 booted up fine and everything seemed to be normal, except that a couple of disk utilities I have reported that the partition on the new drive was not in alignment. I downloaded the latest version of the Paragon Professional Alignment Tool 4.0 which I purchased a couple of years ago. This version creates a CD/DVD which boots the computer and runs the alignment outside of Windows. When it runs there is a graphic displayed on the screen but nothing indicates that it is running the alignment. Then suddenly a menu appears that has no option to do the alignment. Thinking the alignment might have taken place in the background, I rebooted the machine and checked again to see if the partition was now in alignment. Both tools again reported that the partition still was not in alignment. I contacted Paragon for support and sent them log files but they have not answered after a week of waiting. Paragon is NOT a good company to deal with if you need support. I tried to do the alignment with a gParted CD but that also failed.

Does anyone have an answer as to why the SSD won't align or how to tell what the problem is?

Thanks for your help,
    Jarome

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Jarome.

Off the top of my head, could it be related to an OEM partitioning layout, like a hidden Restore partition, on the HDD/SSD clone?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This article shows how to align your SSD.
    http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SUCCESS!! I tried the Paragon alignment tool again, thinking I had missed a step somewhere, but it still failed to align the SSD. I then tried the Gparted tool, following the link Paul suggested. It aligned the SSD on the first try with no problems. Quite a nice tool and definitely one to keep in your tool box. Thanks Paul and satrow for your help.

cheers,
    Jarome

Thanks
    Now go ahead and run "WinSAT.exe formal" (without the quotes) from the Windows 8.1 run box.

It'll run through a WEI and optimize the drive also ensuring that TRIM is active.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT,
    I ran WinSAT. It checks a lot of things in the computer to come up with a Windows Experience Index score (WEI). As far as I can tell it, doesn't change or optimize anything. The WEI is not displayed in Windows 8.1 so you don't know what it is. Therefore, what good is it?

Thanks,
    Jarome

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    I decided to replace the old slow 5400 RPM hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite laptop with a new Kingston 256 GB SSD. I cloned the old drive to the new SSD drive and all went well. Windows 8.1 booted up fine and everything seemed to be normal, except that a couple of disk utilities I have reported that the partition on the new drive was not in alignment. I downloaded the latest version of the Paragon Professional Alignment Tool 4.0 which I purchased a couple of years ago. This version creates a CD/DVD which boots the computer and runs the alignment outside of Windows. When it runs there is a graphic displayed on the screen but nothing indicates that it is running the alignment. Then suddenly a menu appears that has no option to do the alignment. Thinking the alignment might have taken place in the background, I rebooted the machine and checked again to see if the partition was now in alignment. Both tools again reported that the partition still was not in alignment. I contacted Paragon for support and sent them log files but they have not answered after a week of waiting. Paragon is NOT a good company to deal with if you need support. I tried to do the alignment with a gParted CD but that also failed.

Does anyone have an answer as to why the SSD won't align or how to tell what the problem is?

Thanks for your help,
    Jarome
    This is the biggest reason, no matter what type of drive it is...ssd/hdd. That I always do a clean install on a bare drive. For me it just save a lot of headaches.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This article shows how to align your SSD.
    http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

cheers, Paul
    Nice link...I saved it in my bookmarks.
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-01-18 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    CLiNT,
    I ran WinSAT. It checks a lot of things in the computer to come up with a Windows Experience Index score (WEI). As far as I can tell it, doesn't change or optimize anything. The WEI is not displayed in Windows 8.1 so you don't know what it is. Therefore, what good is it?

Thanks,
    Jarome
    WinSAT.exe formal ensures that a SSD drive, if present, is optimized for SSD usages.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh825197.aspx
    http://icomputerdenver.com/solid-sta...-on-windows-8/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good information, CLiNT. Thanks for passing it along. My SSD is now perfectly aligned and optimized and I am a happy camper!

Jarome

Thanks
    FWIW, TRIM is more important on SSDs than alignment. Glad both are now accomplished.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Both Trim and alignment are important for SSDs. You can lose performance if your SSD is not alligned properly:
    http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option...Itemid=2701018

Jerry