Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Aligning SSD

  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Aligning SSD

    I decided to replace the old slow 5400 RPM hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite laptop with a new Kingston 256 GB SSD. I cloned the old drive to the new SSD drive and all went well. Windows 8.1 booted up fine and everything seemed to be normal, except that a couple of disk utilities I have reported that the partition on the new drive was not in alignment. I downloaded the latest version of the Paragon Professional Alignment Tool 4.0 which I purchased a couple of years ago. This version creates a CD/DVD which boots the computer and runs the alignment outside of Windows. When it runs there is a graphic displayed on the screen but nothing indicates that it is running the alignment. Then suddenly a menu appears that has no option to do the alignment. Thinking the alignment might have taken place in the background, I rebooted the machine and checked again to see if the partition was now in alignment. Both tools again reported that the partition still was not in alignment. I contacted Paragon for support and sent them log files but they have not answered after a week of waiting. Paragon is NOT a good company to deal with if you need support. I tried to do the alignment with a gParted CD but that also failed.

    Does anyone have an answer as to why the SSD won't align or how to tell what the problem is?

    Thanks for your help,
    Jarome

  2. #2
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    3,213
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 351 Times in 305 Posts
    Hi, Jarome.

    Off the top of my head, could it be related to an OEM partitioning layout, like a hidden Restore partition, on the HDD/SSD clone?

  3. #3
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,564
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 494 Times in 471 Posts
    This article shows how to align your SSD.
    http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

    cheers, Paul

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

    bassfisher6522 (2014-01-18)

  5. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    SUCCESS!! I tried the Paragon alignment tool again, thinking I had missed a step somewhere, but it still failed to align the SSD. I then tried the Gparted tool, following the link Paul suggested. It aligned the SSD on the first try with no problems. Quite a nice tool and definitely one to keep in your tool box. Thanks Paul and satrow for your help.

    cheers,
    Jarome

  6. #5
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    5,781
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 541 Times in 498 Posts
    Now go ahead and run "WinSAT.exe formal" (without the quotes) from the Windows 8.1 run box.

    It'll run through a WEI and optimize the drive also ensuring that TRIM is active.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  7. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    CLiNT,
    I ran WinSAT. It checks a lot of things in the computer to come up with a Windows Experience Index score (WEI). As far as I can tell it, doesn't change or optimize anything. The WEI is not displayed in Windows 8.1 so you don't know what it is. Therefore, what good is it?

    Thanks,
    Jarome

  8. #7
    3 Star Lounger bassfisher6522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    372
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    I decided to replace the old slow 5400 RPM hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite laptop with a new Kingston 256 GB SSD. I cloned the old drive to the new SSD drive and all went well. Windows 8.1 booted up fine and everything seemed to be normal, except that a couple of disk utilities I have reported that the partition on the new drive was not in alignment. I downloaded the latest version of the Paragon Professional Alignment Tool 4.0 which I purchased a couple of years ago. This version creates a CD/DVD which boots the computer and runs the alignment outside of Windows. When it runs there is a graphic displayed on the screen but nothing indicates that it is running the alignment. Then suddenly a menu appears that has no option to do the alignment. Thinking the alignment might have taken place in the background, I rebooted the machine and checked again to see if the partition was now in alignment. Both tools again reported that the partition still was not in alignment. I contacted Paragon for support and sent them log files but they have not answered after a week of waiting. Paragon is NOT a good company to deal with if you need support. I tried to do the alignment with a gParted CD but that also failed.

    Does anyone have an answer as to why the SSD won't align or how to tell what the problem is?

    Thanks for your help,
    Jarome
    This is the biggest reason, no matter what type of drive it is...ssd/hdd. That I always do a clean install on a bare drive. For me it just save a lot of headaches.

  9. #8
    3 Star Lounger bassfisher6522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    372
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This article shows how to align your SSD.
    http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

    cheers, Paul
    Nice link...I saved it in my bookmarks.
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-01-18 at 19:22.

  10. #9
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    5,781
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 541 Times in 498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    CLiNT,
    I ran WinSAT. It checks a lot of things in the computer to come up with a Windows Experience Index score (WEI). As far as I can tell it, doesn't change or optimize anything. The WEI is not displayed in Windows 8.1 so you don't know what it is. Therefore, what good is it?

    Thanks,
    Jarome
    WinSAT.exe formal ensures that a SSD drive, if present, is optimized for SSD usages.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh825197.aspx
    http://icomputerdenver.com/solid-sta...-on-windows-8/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  11. #10
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Good information, CLiNT. Thanks for passing it along. My SSD is now perfectly aligned and optimized and I am a happy camper!

    Jarome

  12. #11
    Lounge VIP bobprimak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hinsdale, IL, USA
    Posts
    2,395
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 127 Times in 110 Posts
    FWIW, TRIM is more important on SSDs than alignment. Glad both are now accomplished.
    -- Bob Primak --

  13. #12
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    5,857
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 664 Times in 601 Posts
    Both Trim and alignment are important for SSDs. You can lose performance if your SSD is not alligned properly:
    http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option...Itemid=2701018

    Jerry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •