Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 under Win7 not playing well with Java

I updated IE on one Win 7 system to 11 a few weeks ago, and recently noticed that Java was not working. I've done some more research and had some odd findings on that and related issues that are confirmed by other people.

1. When in IE11, I can't tell whether I'm running 32 or 64 bit (on my 64 bit system). Supposedly IE11 changes 'bits' as needed by add-ins that a site accesses.

2. Many, not all add-ins are marked as 'not compatible' but were fine under IE10. Among those are the ones from Java.

3. To get Java to work under IE11, one has to run IE as an Administrator, complete with UAC prompt. This 'bug' is said to have been found and reported many months ago but that there's been no comment from MS.

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    IE11 usually comes in 64 bit default, but you can confirm which mode is being used by going Tools > Internet options and under the Advanced tab scroll down to Security and look for Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.

If the box is checked, it will be running in 64 bit mode and you will need to download Java's 64 bit version but as IE11 in Win 7 has caused other problems for me, I've reverted to IE10 which comes in 32 bit default.

Thanks
    JAVA should be disabled and un-installed because of the security risk..
    Most people, myself included, have un-installed it with no problems...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    JAVA should be disabled and un-installed because of the security risk..
    Most people, myself included, have un-installed it with no problems...
    I have it disabled in its console, but if pbug56 requires Java for the sites used then that won't be an option.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I do use sites, whether corporate job sites and others that require Java.

I tried every way I could think of for opening IE11; I see only Protected Mode, not Enhanced Protected Mode. It used to say in the 'about' which version; that's gone. And the only way I can use Java now in IE is when I run IE as an administrator.

Ron

Thanks
    Post a link of a site you use that still uses JAVA...
    I would like to take a look at it.

Don't confuse JAVA with JAVA Scripts.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    Hi,

I do use sites, whether corporate job sites and others that require Java.

I tried every way I could think of for opening IE11; I see only Protected Mode, not Enhanced Protected Mode. It used to say in the 'about' which version; that's gone. And the only way I can use Java now in IE is when I run IE as an administrator.

Ron
    I'd show you what it looks in mine but I don't know how the Basic uploader works to include the .JPG of the IE settings.

Have you tried resetting IE to defaults as it should display its version in About Internet Explorer.

If it still doesn't display its version then uninstalling it in Installed Updates and reinstalling it may help, having first checked that IE10 displays its version and that its working as it should with Java.

If it fails to display, then open a command prompt as an administrator and enter sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

Resetting IE11 to defaults before reverting will ensure no additional add-ons will be included in IE10 as some settings remain the same.

The only site that I occasionally use that requires Java is www.pingtest.net but I don't think I checked my latency during the short while I had IE11 installed, so couldn't say if I would have had the same problem.

I'll begrudgingly reinstall IE11 to see if I get the same problem with pingtest and report back, but it may be that you will have to revert to IE10.

Have you installed Java 64 bit yet ?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got IE11 back on and enabled Java in browsers via its console and went to pingtest where it told me that it required Java to run the packet loss test and that it didn't appear to be installed.

Googled verify java which confirmed that I had it so went back to pingtest, still got the error message but this time the UAC came up to allow Java to run and the ping and packet loss test ran fine, so not sure what happened the first time around or why the error message remained while Java successfully ran.

This was done with IE11 in its default state with just my preferred ISP home page set.

With IE10 reset to defaults prior to upgrading, IE11 installed in its 32 bit mode with the Enable Enhanced Protected Mode box unchecked.

I'm not sure what you can take from this if resetting/reinstalling IE11 or if the sfc /scannow comes back clean and hopefully it will now display its version in About... but see if running the Verify Java test and that you have it enabled in browsers box checked in its console to see if there's any change.

Now I'm going to restore to prior IE11

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have a valid point - lots of sites use one or the other, and it's not all that clear to users which.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do we actually know that unaltered IE11 64 bit will actually say that is such in the About?

I thought I'd installed Java 64 bit but at this point I'm just not sure anymore.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I only checked to see if Protected Mode was enabled so can't answer that one.

When running IE9 in 64 bit mode, right clicking on the IE icon in the system tray used to show as 64 bit but I've just changed my IE10 to 64 bit and it just displays as Internet Explorer as IE9 used to for its 32 bit mode, but IE9 used to list as two separate versions in All Progs whereas IE10 > is just a single interchangeable version.

The Java versions that you have installed will be listed in Programs and Features and will list one of those as (64-bit) if installed and are currently u51.

Have you tried running the Verify Java https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-17 at 18:15.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From appwiz.cpl, I found that I did not have Java 64 bit installed, so that was fairly easy to deal with. Given that the 64 bit installer is 'standalone', it seems free of the cr-pware that the regular installer includes, and that helps. I had forgotten that you needed to install 32 and 64 Java separately.

BTW, to get the Java verify to work in IE, I have to be running it as an administrator. Otherwise it doesn't function.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pbug56 View Post
    You have a valid point - lots of sites use one or the other, and it's not all that clear to users which.
    These days, most sites will use Javascript and only a few will use Java. They bear no relation to each other and they are used for different purposes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So got into pingtest.net and it told me I don't have Java installed even though I tested on java.com and it said I had it. So it gets stranger yet!

I still want to see if we can get some of the questions answered, but sooner or later I have to think about whether to keep Java.

Thanks!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If you regularly frequent sites that require Java then you will need it on board and to avoid the chew, revert to IE 10.

I'm going to give MS a bell on Monday to see what they have to say, but I've asked my brother who runs Win 8.0 to check which IE version he has and to check the pingtest site to see if he has similar problems, but not expecting any feedback on that until tomorrow.

Wonder if anyone with Win >=8.0 will drop in and give a comparison ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast