Lounger
    Thanks

windows update fails

I am unable to get Windows Updates to work on a Vista Home Premium machine.

I track the errors back to the BITS service not running. When I go in to manually start the BITS service, it starts and then immediately stops.....WTF????

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Resetting Windows Update Components with this MS fixit may do it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-gb

If you close down the pop-up auto fixit window, there is a separate fixit button for Vista and XP lower down, but you could try the main pop-up fixit first.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've the windows updates work fine for many years and now all of a sudden it won't update. The primary error is 0x80070003. I went to the support site and twice did the automatic reset of windows update components and when the troubleshooting was complete it said it fixed:
    Some security settings are missing or have been changed. = fixed
    Check for missing or corrupt files = fixed
    Service registration is missing or corrupt = fixed
    Problems installing recent updates = fixed
    Corrupt Patch Registry keys = fixed
    But then it also reported:
    Windows Update error 0x80070003 = Not fixed
    Problems installing recent updates = Not fixed

And I still cannot install new updates. I'm wondering how much longer my computer will function before some virus or malware takes it down. If there anything else I can do besides just getting a new computer?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try the aggressive mode on that fixit and can you check that your clock is correct ?

While your BITS service is listed, see if reinstalling it does it and sometimes just running the commands to re-register the .dlls in Step 3 can resolve http://www.techsupportall.com/backgr...ce-is-missing/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-23 at 18:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What is the 'aggressive mode'? And how would I check to see if my clock is correct? I just tried the automatic reset of update components. Would the step by step manual procedure possibly work? does it do something different that the automatic reset? I'll see if I can do the BITS reinstalling. Though I probably can't get to this for a couple of days. Thnx.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Win 7 and you used to get the option for Aggressive Mode (Not Recommended) but doing the manual steps in Step 4 will do the same as the Aggressive Mode would have done which you can try before the BITS reinstall.

MS Fixits don't always work to fix Windows Update errors and resorting to a factory reset has been the only option for some, but hope either of those two will resolve for you.