2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change network setting on XP Pro PCs

I am trying to connect Win 7 Pro PCs to a Win XP Pro Workgroup.
    The Win 7 PCs can ping the XPs but the XPs can't pint the Win 7 PCs - multiple Win 7 and XP PCs have same issue.
    The XP PCs have only one User which is the Administrator - with password
    I tried to change the network settings on the XP PCs but the changes do not stick:
    Right click My Computer and click Properties
    Click Network ID and change from "uses a domain" to "does a network without a domain" (this is a Peer-to-Peer network without a server)
    Changed Workgroup name to match the Win 7 PCs
    Click Save
    When I relook at the settings they have reverted to the original ones.
    Tried rebooting several times but no success.
    What is preventing me from changing the Network settings on the XP PCs?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I dunno, in all my years of using XP I've never used the Network ID button! Instead I have only used the Change... button just below it to set workgroup name and properties and then set network properties directly on the network adapter and I don't bother to use the password sharing, opting instead for the Simple file sharing setting in CP>folder options>view.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried every suggested change from many posts and Microsoft articles but the Win XPs still cannot connect to the Win 7 PCs or Ping them.
    The original network of 10 XP PCs (Pro SP3) all share documents and printers.
    The new(er) Win 7 Pro (SP 1) PCs can all see the other Win 7 PCs but not the XP PCs or the network printers.
    I can ping the XP PCs from any Win 7 PC and I can connect by typing \\name in the URL line but the link is not persistent.
    I even tried shutting down the Firewall on an XP PC but that did not help.
    When I click on the Change button it shows the correct Workgroup name, when I click on Network ID it shows the Workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".
    I could not find anything about how to change a XP PC from "in a domain" to "not in a domain", seems strange that different views from the same screen show different parameters.
    The Win 7 PC IP addr are 192.168.2.xxx, the XP PC IP addr are 192.168.1.xxx. Could this be a router issue?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure there is only one router? Or could it be a more advanced router that can be configured for two networks? In any case it sounds like there are two networks and since pinging and network addressing works one-way and not the other, it furthermore sounds like two routers in-line. I have a similar setup to isolate networks for quality control.

For sure the XP systems will need to be on the same subnet as the Win 7 systems or vice versa for two-way interaction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

bvitter (2014-01-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The setup area for the new PCs is in a different part of the building and we connected to the network through a Wireless Relay which apparently functions as a router rather than a switch. I can connect up fine now as long as the new PCs are on the same network.