5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emsisoft question

I have started a 30-day trial of the Emsisoft suite on my W7 SP1 system. Under Services, I noticed that the Windows Firewall service is automatically started. Should that be disabled?
    Also, the Windows Action Center has messages telling me that it doesn't think I have any anti-virus program running. I have M-Bytes Pro and Emsisoft running. What do I have to do to "smarten up" the Action Center?

Finally, I would appreciate any other tips/suggestions by those of you who use Emsisoft. (I've already told M-Bytes to "ignore" the Emsisoft folder. What do I do on the Emsisoft side?)

Thanks,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you are using Online Armor and OA's firewall is active it will disable the Windows firewall. The firewall service has other purposes than just running the Windows firewall, so don't worry about the service.

I provided a set of instructions on configuring OA's firewalll here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post933826

I had promised George I would add instructions on configuring EAM and I forgot to do it. Here is what you need to do add exclusions, from EAM's side:

You will need to add entries to the whitelist. To do that, choose Guard -> File Guard and then click Manage Whitelist
    George4.JPG

Exclusions are added as process type exclusions. So choose Process from the type dropdown and then click the line box, which will open a ... button. Use the button to navigate to the file you want to add as an exclusion (probably the mbam executable).
    George5.JPG

That's it, regarding EAM.

Regarding Online Armor, it will require a bit of attention, initially and it can be a bit annoying when setting up new software. I usually put it Learning Mode when installing new software or even when updating Windows, just to avoid the many dialogs.
    When in doubt whether to block something and OA does not provide advice, if you choose to block, block without remembering the option. Feel free to ask here about it or on the Emsisoft support forum. They provide decent replies, even if they are a bit slower than we usually are here.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-01-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui. I'll give these a go. I'm sorry I'm slow in thanking you. I just got back from seeing a fabulous movie: "Saving Mr. Banks."

Best,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You're welcome, Dick, hope this helps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4