New Lounger
    Thanks

TrueCrypt "visible password" checked as default?

I use TrueCrypt to keep a container on my laptop that holds all my personal information. This is done for protection in case my laptop is ever stolen.

When I mount my volume, the "enter password" window opens. Because my password contains letters, numbers, and symbols (28 characters), I always check the "display password" first before entering it. This makes it much easier to see if I've make a mistake.

I'm almost always alone when I mount my volume and I'm not worried about someone watching me.

I know it's just a minor annoyance but is there any way I can make "display password" already checked as default when the password window opens?

Thanks for your help and time.

the planckster

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could save your TC password in KeePass, then use the KeePassTrueCryptMount plug-in to mount the volume for you. No need to display the password then.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Thanks for the info. The problem with that is I have to load another program and I have to enter the password for KeePass. I'm not really gaining anything.

I don't mind typing in the TrueCrypt password. I'm greedy and just want to eliminate those two extra mouse clicks: one to check "display password" and two to click on the box to enter the password.

I tried to post a question on the TrueCrypt web site forum, but they won't let me because I have a Yahoo address.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Thanks
    There doesn't seem to be an option / preference to cause "display password" as the default. I couldn't find it, anyway, and have to tick the wretched box each time I start TrueCrypt, like you do!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher,

Like you, I couldn't find any option/preference that controls this.

I was hoping maybe I could start the program with a switch added (e.g. truecrypt.exe /x) or some other thing.

I guess we're just SOL.

Jerry

Thanks
    There is a /P(assword) "My Password" command line parameter which might do what you want - but it has the significant disadvantage of having to be placed in clear text in a BATch file, so I didn't bother mentioning it!
    Last edited by BATcher; 2014-01-19 at 14:28.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher,

I checked out the /P switch. I agree with you, I don't thing using that is the best idea.

Thanks for telling me about it.

Jerry