4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013: Heading with large top margin not honoured after the first

Dear Loungers,

I have a Heading 1 style defined with a large space before it - about 6 cms. I have two problems:

1. The first instance of the style the large top margin is Ok. All subsequent instances of using the style do not - whether of not there are intervening heading or or other styles. In the attached example you will see what is happening.
    2. I want to colour the whole paragraph area, not just the text i.e. the text and the 6cms above it. I can't use a table since the heading number is set outside the body i.e. at -.6cm right justified. Can anyone think of a way round this?

Thank you..................... liz
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The maximum height above the text that you can get the shading to span is 31pts (and then only if you add a border above (in the same colour)) so that is not going to help. You could use a table and put the number in an unshaded first column but your TOC won't show the number because it will be in another paragraph so that won't work either.

I would do this by creating a new style based on Heading 1 and call it something like "Heading 1 Lead-in". Modify the styles so:
    Heading 1 Lead-in: Turn off paragraph numbering
    Heading 1: Turn off "Page Break Before" setting

Then add an empty paragraph with the "heading 1 lead-in" style before each Heading 1 paragraph.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    I've played with using a Frame as a part of the style but don't see how to get the text on the bottom of the frame. You could perhaps put the heading in a Text Box but that is not a great solution.

http://addbalance.com/word/frames_textboxes.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hmmm...
    It is odd that the space before is OK for teh first instance but then not honoured, I have no idea why this is a problem.

As far as the shading goes my solution thus far matches what Andrew suggested so it looks like this:

HeadingTopMargin, page break before, no numbering, keep with next; soft return
    soft return
    soft return (I hate doing it this way but now I get solid colour)
    Heading 1, no top margin no page beak before

not perfect but it works

Thank you guys

liz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't need the soft returns if you alter either of the styles:
    HeadingTopMargin: Increase the Space After setting
    or
    Heading 1: Increase the Space Before setting
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia