New Lounger
    Thanks

Autocomplete (internet explorer)

I am looking for the file that stores the information for the AUTOCOMPLETE in Internet Explorer 5.5

We have a user who is deleting the history files and we want to track where he has been.
    Unfortunately, I am not allowed to install any snooper software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Autocomplete (internet explorer)

What OS and are you on a network?

If the company will not allow snooper software, they have legal conerns. You need to have the same concerns. Depending on where you are at, the legal issues are different.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Pushing legal issue aside, all of the AutoComplete information is stored in the registry. However, this is NOT the exact same information as the "History" information. So, if you were hoping that AutoComplete will tell you the History of where a user has been, you might be disappointed.

You need to know the users "log on" name -- or at least be able to guess it. The AutoComplete information is store in this section of the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftProtected Storage System Provider

There will be keys called *Default* and *Local Machine*, then these will be followed by the user's names. Look in the correct user's name and you should find the AutoComplete data.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Running windows 95
    yes it is networked. - NT4.0 sp6 servers, currently being updated to 2000

The company wants to know where this individual has been , but doesn't want to spend the money on snooper software.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your help.

I've looked on MY own machine for these files and I haven't seen the AutoComplete data.
    I did find a couple of web sites, but nothing that would be helpful.

All I really need to find out is where this computer has been on the Internet.
    I really don't need to know when it was there, since this machine is new and we know the time frame when it is being abused.

The person who is playing with this machine has been, deleting the history files, clearing the cookies and temporary Internet files. He has changed the retention to one MB and set clear history to 0 days.

We have repeatedly set this machine to Intranet use only.
    and this individual continues to change the connection settings to allow full Internet access.

This person has also repeatedly installed games on this machine.
    I have gone so far as to disabling the floppy drive in the system bios, unplugging the floppy from the motherboard, and replacing the floppy with a defective floppy drive.

This has stopped the installation of games, but the Internet "transgressions" still continue.
    The sites that pop up in the autocomplete are sites that are DEFINITELY not P.C.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is the usual storage for AutoComplete -- but not History. If he is clearing the History, then it is not easy to retrieve that information. The Protected Storage ONLY holds web form AutoComplete data. As I said, I suspect you will be disappointed.

How about using the Internet Options | Content tab and password protecting the sites he can access?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sounds like it is time to get rid of this person. Just make sure that the Company has a set of PUBLISHED RULES that apply to everyone, and document ALL findings.

Bottom line the company needs to spend some money for a snooper of some sort.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know that there is some sort of .log file that is generated I believe on the Firewall (if you have one). It's pretty messy-you'll have to open it in Excel, sort by IP address (you need to know what his is), then you should see a list of the sites he's been to. I believe that this file is created everyday, so you may have to open several of these file to get enough info on him.

My network admin has gone home for the day, and he's the one who knows exactly where the files are stored (I don't know for sure if he had to turn something on to generate the log files). I'll ask him on Monday.

Hope this helps at least a little.
    Becky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dave has a good point -- this guy needs to be fired!

The Content Advisor should work. Although there might be some way for a computer wiz to get around it... It is worth a look.