New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Windows to another partition

Have Dell desktop, single hard drive, that came preinstalled with Windows 7 (still on primary partition). Single internal drive with total space of 1.5 TB
    A while ago, attached via external-sata Blacx box a 400 GB drive. Later, I installed Windows 8 on this box as a secondary boot just to play around. Pointed Windows 8 "My documents" to original My Documents on internal drive. I have since done two thngs:
    * Updated Win8 to 8.1
    * Made Win 8.1 my primary OS - really no need any more for Windows 7.
    Basically, I would like to get Windows 8.1 onto the partitition of the internal drive that now has Windows 7 (this is the G drive to Windows 8.1

What I think I can do is:
    a) Migrate My Documents from G: (internal drive) to C: (Win 8.1) partition (there's room)
    b) Clone Windows 8.1 C: boot partition to the partition on internal drive

Assuming at this point I can just boot into Windows 8.1 from the internal drive, clean up

Actual Partition info today:
    Dell Internal Drive:
    Partition 1: 39 MB - Dell Utilities
    Partition 2: 15 GB - Dell Recovery Partition
    Partition 3: 1.33 TB - Primary (Windows 7) partition, include MyDocs - My Pictures - My Video
    Partition 4: 25 GB - Swapfile partition for Windows 8.1 (probably) have to move this partition back first as well?)

External Drive:
    Partition 1: 1 GB (unformatted)
    Partition 2: 103 GB C: - Windows 8.1
    Partition 3: 268 GB H: - Empty - but also swap partition for Windows 7.

When all is said and done - will not care any more about Windows 7.

Can this work? Was thinking of using Macrium Reflect (free version) to do the heavy lifting.

Dave

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's quite a complex set up and it may be easier to start from scratch. I'd make a full backup, including an image and then re-install to the disk you want as your primary. I'd even add an SSD to use for the OS.

The backup programs have a settings backup / restore option to make conversion easier, but you do need to buy the full version - always worth paying for good backup software in my book, it's cheap insurance.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - figured out two missing pieces and closer examination of Macrium Reflect free and aomei backuper. Both seem capable of doing the job. It was unclear at first if Reflect could restore an individual paritition to a a partition image on a different drive. It can. The other interesting tidbit I found out was the 15GB Recovery Partition on Disk 0 is also has the system boot loader that Windows placed there after I recreated this as a dual boot system.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Final update on this.
    * Used Macrium Reflect Free to image the OS partition on the external SATA drive
    * Used Macrium Reflect Free to restore that partition over the partition containing Windows 7 on the internal drive
    * Initially: a reboot to the external drive worked as before (good) - but booting to the internal drive caused Windows to immediately halt saying couldn't find the drive (bad)
    * Rebooted back to external drive. Ran Visual BCDEdit and set the boot entry for "Windows 7" to G: - this is the partition on the internal drive and BCDEdit does the translation to the physical drive.
    * Rebooted again to the internal drive and everything came up. Few cleanup actions with regard to folder placements - but it is all working.