Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd behavior of video players on new Win7-Pro-Sp1-32-bit upgrade

Hi All:

Here's an odd one. Although it took some effort and frustration, when upgrading my spare old XP box, I finally found compatible video drivers for my old ATI Radeon 7500 that work in Win7-32-bit (I think they are just 32-bit XP drivers, but they work fine on screen). I can get back to the full 1920x1080 resolution that I had before. But, in trying to install and use a couple of common video media players, only VuePro, WMP, QuickTime and IrfanView Player work as they should. I hate WMP and the others won't use "playlists". My previous favorite, VLC Player plays the audio tracks, but the video is just "snow". Same with FLV Player (which I can no longer update from initial version 2.x as apparently their website was hacked and infected with malware -- Firefox won't even go there now). Both of those worked find on the XP installation before the "upgrade" to Win7. I even tried using VLC player "Portable" from a USB thumb drive, but it wouldn't work either. So, it seems likely its a hardware/driver issue, but I can't determine what to do about it.

So, the screen display itself is lovely, but my favorite video player won't work. I even tried uninstalling the monitor and video card in Device Manager and let them reinstall themselves on re-boot to no avail. I really don't want to spend much money on fixing this system as it is old. I just want to have it available as a spare or if I need to use some old 16-bit or DOS programs that won't work on my main Win7-Pro-64-bit system.

Other problem: This old VIA motherboard only has AGP or PCI slots, no PCIe for a more modern video card. Any other ideas? TIA.

Rob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the rest of the hardware is good, say P4 3GHz or better equivalent (Athlon 3000+ and up), couple gigs of RAM, etc., I'd get a new old AGP video card for it, something in the AMD HD2600 to 3800 range. Even though XP and Win 7 are pretty equivalent in terms of resource utilization, 7 still likes more video power. I don't know if this would solve your exact issue you may be having but in general it's the way to go if intending to keep the system around and useful for a while yet. I had disappointing performance with a FX5200 card, put a HD2600 in and the difference is dusk and day.

I don't know how the heck you even got it to work at all; there's no way an ATI 7500 is DirectX 9 compliant is there?? I thought I was doing really well getting my 9600XTs to work!
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

rbsteinbach (2014-01-23)

Thanks
    VLC player works fine on my win 7 32 bit computer. As with your's, my computer is older and had XP with the AGP and PCI slots. Video works great on mine but sound drivers for the Creative SB live sucks.
    My video card is ATI X850 but I doubt that your problem is with the video card unless 1920x1080 is more resolution than VLC can display.
    Sorry that I don't have a hard and fast answer for you but as I say, VLC works great on mine. Have you tried their forums?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I've got X850s and X1050s running with 7, no problem with video and such...still those cards are "modern" compared to a 7500. I'm thinking late 2001 early 2002 vs mid to late 2004 for the X850.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for your feedback. I guess if I can find a more modern, but not to expensive AGP card at the local Fry's I'll give that a shot. Not much of a selection of AGP or PCI cards left there these days, but I don't want to mail order anything at this time. As for the audio -- I had a SB-0100 Live card, and couldn't make it work, but found a new SB Audigy PCI card at a local BestBuy that works fine. The only other h/w issue was that my trusty old LinkSys NIC was too old for drivers, but fortunately I had a spare dLink DFE-530TX+ PCI card that dropped in and worked great. As for CPU speed, its currently just 1.7GHz, but slow as it is I only need this machine for emergency backup use, and can get by if needed. I have a set of several rack-mounted hard drives I swap in and out of it and my main PC that have all my critical files backed up daily, so I'm otherwise in good shape.

Thanx again to all for your feedback. I will report back if/when I get a new video card. Best wishes.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All:

Just wanted to update you all... I finally got a cheap off-brand Nvidia GEforce FX550 AGP card with 256 DDR RAM and just installed it. Works like a charm. That was the problem -- the ATI card was just too old and drivers too old (even though they had worked fine for XP and the screen itself was wonderful on Win7). Anyhow, all's well that ends well, and I'm very happy. Thanx for your suggestions. They did the trick.

Best wishes.

Rob